• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Just checking on how things look, Age, Cage.??

BugLove007

Bearded Dragon Egg
So I just got my beardie yesterday and just want to know how it looks.
I also do have a 1 worry though. When I got him I fed him 4-5
crickets "dusted" today when I woke up and checked on him he seemed fine. But all day he seems to be just laying around not doing anything but it is kinda under the basking light. He did eat about 2-3 crickets today ask well. There was a few times he came up to the door looking out. How do I post pics?. I monitored his every move today lol. If anyone can help that would be great

Jell-O...jpg
jell-o.jpg
123.jpg
1234.jpg
set.jpg
tv.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
WelcomeToTheForums-1.jpg

BDs are not the most active pet. They spend the majority of their time Basking under the heat because they need it to digest their food. BDs can & most will go through an acclimation period of a week to 10 days. During this time, their appetite can be affected & handling should be kept minimal, to maintenance only, to allow for as stress free a transition as possible.

What you are describing sounds quite normal for a newly acquired BD. What are your temps, both basking spot & cool side? What type of thermometer are you measuring them with & exactly where are the temps being measured at?

A few good links to help get you started ...

Basic BD Care Sheet - A Place To Start

Bearded Dragon --- Exclusive Care Info Library

Beautiful Dragons Nutrition Chart

UVB Setup

Is Bearded Dragon Co-habitation a good plan?
How To Sex A Bearded Dragon

BugLove007

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am using Exo Terra digital thermometer "located right under basking spot- 105f" But he lays lower and that spot is about 85F-90F' Cooling side is "80F-90F, The Humidity is 30%-40%. Does everything seem good? I also want to make sure I am using the right lights and stuff, Fluckers ceramic heating emitter "for night cause it gets cold at night" Zoo med Reptisum terrarium hood, Reptisum UVB Bulb-10.0. Heat light "zoo med 100W" Does that seem right?

Also could you guess on his age?

Last edited by a moderator:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would guess it's age to be approximately 4-8 weeks old.

Night heat is only needed if the ambient room temps drop below the mid to low 60s F at night. Your UVB looks & sounds good. As far as a heat bulb goes, we all have to play the trial & error game, to find the right type & wattage of bulb to suit our particular setups. Any white or clear bulb of a type & sufficient wattage to provide the required temps at the distance that the enclosure size & setup dictates, will do the job.

Rather than the pricy so called Pet Store Basking Bulbs, many, myself included, use regular Halogen Flood Bulbs. I purchase mine at Home Depot at less than half the price of a pet store basking bulb. Halogen Bulbs provide more heat per what, so are not only cheaper to buy, but also much cheaper to run, power-wise. BDs thrive on Bright, White light & Halogens provide brighter whiter light, with superb heat penetration into the enclosure. I have been using them for over a decade.

Good Luck

TheGuvnor

Hatchling Dragon
A lovely looking beardie you have. And so tiny :).
Is that reptile carpet your using?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

BugLove007

Bearded Dragon Egg
Now I can't really get him to eat anything. I haven't got him to eat the last two days. I have tried to feed him morning and night but nothing. I have fresh veggies an fruit for him to eat but he hasn't touched it. I haven't even seen him drink anything. I called a vet and they said to offer him waxworms or mealworms. He at two Mealworms yesterday but nothing today. I have tried offering him waxworm, mealworms and crickets but nothing? I am getting worried. Am I just being a hypochondriac or is there something wrong???

smokejunky

Juvenile Dragon
My little one wouldn't eat when we first got him.so my wife fed him baby squash out of a syringe 3 times a day and we also switched to roaches.now he is a pig haha

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
I may not be completely right about this but this is just my opinion-
I think the enclosure is currently too big for him and it may be stressing him out. It's a great enclosure, don't get me wrong. But I think for his size right now, he might be overwhelmed by the amount of space there is. I say this because when I got my BD when he was 2 months old (about 6 inches) I had to block off half of my 40 gallon because he was freaked out by the whole tank. He became a lot less stress when he was in a smaller area, then as he grew I expanded his cage.

I would get a piece of cardboard and wedge it in the middle to separate the space. Just make sure that the temperatures are balanced between warm and cool side. Again, this is just my personal opinion and it helped my little guy when I first got him.My guy started eating the next day after giving him less space, so that's why I think it may help. He also could just be stressed in general and needs to get used to his new home, so it may take a couple of days.

Regarding water, if you have a clean syringe, you can try giving him water that way. Just drop the water on his nose and see if he accepts it. If he's not interested, try moving the water around with your finger when he gets a bath. Some BD's don't drink water though so don't panic- just make sure you mist the veggies with water and bathe him plenty.

Good luck~

BugLove007

Bearded Dragon Egg
His cage now is 5feet long, 2feet wide and 23inches deep/tall. I also have a terrarium that is 36inches long, 18inches wide and 16inches deep would that be better? Should I make a new forum an ask?

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
The smaller one would probably be a lot better for now, until he starts growing more. I kept my first BD in a plastic tubaware bin, then moved him to a 40 gallon, and the BD I have now was just put in the 40 gallon with half of it blocked out. I would move him to the smaller one and see how he does with a smaller space. If he hasn't calmed down in a week and you've ruled out improper temperatures, then I would try the cardboard trick and make it a little smaller even and gradually give him more space as he grows. He's very tiny so I think the large enclosure is a bit intimidating.

But when he gets older, that will be perfect. It's a really nice tank!

edit- regarding him not eating- Again, most likely from stress whether it's from the large enclosure or just the move in general. Feed him wax worms occasionally but not too much since they're high in fat, and I would avoid meal worms as much as possible. Maybe once a week max, and only a few. You can also try putting him in a smaller container (any kind of plastic bin) and throwing the crickets in there and see if he eats that way. Maybe it'll make it easier for him to actually get them if he's eating in a smaller, empty area.

Latest posts