• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I've got one for you all...

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I read recently on Beautiful Dragons, in the Alternative Medicine, that you can use aloe for internal issues as well as using it for a topical ?

Can anyone verify this for me ?
Thanks !
Janie.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nope. Never heard of that.

Does the article discuss human or reptile internal use?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The article in question
Aloe Vera

The aloe leaf contains over 75 nutrients and 200 active compounds, including 20 minerals, 18 amino acids, and 12 vitamins, including vitamins B1, B2, B6, C. Aloe Vera is often used as a lubricant to help remove shedding skin.

Aloe Vera contains Anthraquinones, which act as a powerful purgative and laxative but are also analgesic and anti-microbial in action. It is the Anthraquinones that help in the control of streptococcus; TB, Ringworm and yeast based infections such as Candida Albicans.

Aloe Vera not only works well at relieving many common ailments and diseases but is of great benefit with chronic deseases in pain relief and increasing quality of life. It is also beneficial to keep animals on a low amount as a general tonic. In this way they will better be able to cope with any future illnesses. The secret with Aloe Vera is to start very slowly and give orally, on an empty stomach if possible. This can be directly into the mouth or by adding to food or water. As with humans, Aloe Vera works very well with conventional medicine but always check with your vet.

Where Aloe Vera Works:
Aloe Vera works with two main systems; the epithelial cells - a layer of cells covering the body (skin), or lining a cavity connected with it, and with the immunological system.

The main benefits therefore (for both humans and animals) are with conditions affecting the skin, digestive system (including the oral cavity), respiratory system (including nasal chambers and sinuses), urinary and genital systems, eyes, ears, and musculo-skeletal system.

Aloe Vera has been shown to have no detectable side effects and is probably the most effective treatment for skin diseases. It exfoliates by helping to remove dead and damaged cells, and decreases itching. It is anit-microbial in that it kills certain bacteria, viruses, fungi, and yeasts. It increases controlled cell division and healing so that wounds and skin diseases heal about a third faster than normal. It also acts as a local anaesthetic.

What Aloe Vera Cannot Do:
Aloe Vera is not a cure-all and will not, for instance, kill parasites, mites, or ticks.

There have also been silly stories about cancer - Aloe Vera will not cure cancer. If a tumour is treated medically or surgically then Aloe Vera has a role in helping the healing process.

For more information on Aloe Vera, I recommend reading "Aloe Vera - Nature's Gift" by David Urch, a Veterinary Surgeon from England. This new book provides practical advice on how to use Aloe Vera to treat a wide range of animal ailments that affect the cat, dog and horse as well as some of the common diseases of cattle, sheep, goats,children's pets, snakes, lizards, fish and birds. Easy to read and with full diagrams, photo plates and usage charts this fully referenced book is an essential guide to the benefits of Aloe Vera for both animal owners and Veterinary Surgeons alike.

I will say that i trust veronica very much. she is extremely knowledgable in the rescue/rehabilitation/and care of dragons.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So, if I am reading that right, and yes that was the article, Brian, aloe can be used as a probiotic ?
Janie.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I cant personally answer that. My suggestion is to get in touch with veronica and ask her. I have never tried the use of aloe vera so i have no background to draw from. sorry

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Fair enough, contacting Veronica should be easy, from her articles I feel she is comfortable talking to "strange" peeps ;)
Thanks Brian !
Janie.

Latest posts