• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I've got a question for all the breeders

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
I was hoping some of you could help me out with some questions I have regarding breeding, finances, and overall life of being a reptile breeder.
Now I'm not considering breeding BD's anytime soon, but I'm hoping to get a set up planned in the next 2 years (racks, cages, lights, etc). I've already researched the overall cost, so I know what I'm getting into but I really want to hear your opinions on the following;
First, if you're a BD breeder, is this your main job? As in, you don't work part time or have a full time job? Does this cover the bills ok or is it more of a part time/side job?
I ask this because half of me wants to work with reptiles for the rest of my life, but atm I'm in college and looking to go off to a University to study the career of my choice. That means that I'll be extremely busy while in school, but also when I get out and get a full time job, I won't have those full days to dedicate to my animals. I'm making it work now ofc since my animals > anything, but when it comes to breeding- Do you manage them between an outside job or are THEY your job? If they are your job, can you just give me a little info regarding daily life, cost, profit, downs and lows?

Second, this is more of a personal opinion. I actually considered making a living off of breeding reptiles or even working at any reptile store/company because they're pretty much my #1 passion. However, I'm just a college student and unfortunately, I don't get too much support for that idea lol... But I wanted to juggle school and reptiles, so in the future when I go off to my University, do you personally think there will be time to dedicate between the two? I know that's hard to answer since you guys (and myself) obviously don't know how my schedule will be like, but I just want honest opinions and maybe an example of how long it takes you guys to clean, feed, and do general care for say, 1-2 clutches of BD's + adults. With my schedule now, I'm managing 5 classes, a couple of small part time jobs, and caring for 2 aquariums + a BD. It's doable, but these classes aren't anything hard.. but my point is, I'm dedicated enough to make it work. But still, I need just some honest opinions.

I may have more later, but I understand the basics... the initial cost of the set up, electricity bill, the food, all that. Mainly, I'm looking for opinions and curious to hear from those who either make a living doing this or if it's a side job. Thanks guys. C:

Zen ReptileZ

Juvenile Dragon
Hi Milo!

First of all, you are asking the right questions and should be very successful at whatever path you choose! I have gone through the same process of trying to map out my future/career.

Always remember your true passions are undeniable in life. Time ceases to exist for me as I'm cleaning, feeding, and watching eggs hatch. I love doing it!

You can take the fast route into becoming a breeder and buy adults, start breeding immediately and sell your first years clutches. Or, you can take the "smart" route, raise your crew from youngsters, make proper pairings, raise those to a safe age, maybe sell, maybe keep to observe your lines for any health issues. I call this "hobby/business" of mine the biggest teacher of patience! I am about 4 years into my breeding, and I feel that next Spring I will be ready to safely release excellent reptiles into the hands of loving owners.

I wouldn't have done it any other way, I look at it as if I now earned my degree for this field. I am educated, prepared, and most of all filled with a sense of accomplishment and excitement for the future!

Do what you love, study what intrigues you!

I have changed my major more than twice. An M.B.A. Is now my ultimate educational goal.

The time commitment really varies for each person. Please feel free to contact me for more details about my personal journey, I would be happy to mentor a person asking such wise and responsible questions!

Erin

milo0

Hatchling Dragon
I will be sending you a pm soon with some questions! c: And thank you for your input!

treasuredigs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Sorry trying to do with iphone
I have a full trans hypo male citrus and a hypo bet for trans female I bought a couple of years ago paid 300 for female now dealer is selling better ones for less tha. 100
Market is hard anyone can breed and they breed a lot
They need to eat at least twice a day I start mine on greens as soon as they start eating along with baby superworms I buy in bulk 2000 or more
I lost money on last Bach because of price drop as well as feeding cost
If you get a class 3 licence you can advertise or take chance of a visit by game warden at least here in Florida
I would do it only if u love it as a hobby and see where it goes
Buy top of line dragons regular dragons sell as little as $10
Don't want to discourage just it cost money and time and market it hard
Do what

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Right now the market is flooded with breeders. Unless you have something unique it will be difficult. Start getting babies now to mix while you are in school, trying to find a vet friend helps ;)

Latest posts