• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this okay for my 4 month old bearded dragon?

Gracen89

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey guys,
I have read a lot of stuff about coil uvb lights not being very good for baby beardies, this was the lighting that the breeder supplied us with so we just assumed it would be correct.
But for the 2 months we have had her she has been fine eating and pooing regularly but for the last week she has really slowed down with eating. Which in turn has cut down how much poo she is doing. She is still going but they are small and less regular.
During the day she is super active in the tank but not interested in any food we try to give her but at night she gets really lethargic to the point that she seems dead and take a bit to wake her up?
Is this normal behaviour because it’s very concerning and we worry she won’t be with us when we wake up in the morning but then she is fine again?
Tank temps don’t get below 21 degrees as we have a heat lamp and thermostat to keep her tank warm enough over night.
But any suggestions to what we can change to help her?

image.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys,
I have read a lot of stuff about coil uvb lights not being very good for baby beardies, this was the lighting that the breeder supplied us with so we just assumed it would be correct.
But for the 2 months we have had her she has been fine eating and pooing regularly but for the last week she has really slowed down with eating. Which in turn has cut down how much poo she is doing. She is still going but they are small and less regular.
During the day she is super active in the tank but not interested in any food we try to give her but at night she gets really lethargic to the point that she seems dead and take a bit to wake her up?
Is this normal behaviour because it’s very concerning and we worry she won’t be with us when we wake up in the morning but then she is fine again?
Tank temps don’t get below 21 degrees as we have a heat lamp and thermostat to keep her tank warm enough over night.

View attachment 32500
Please get rid of the coil- your dragon is starting to exhibit behavior that will get worse---- she's getting no uvb which she cannot digest the calcium she's getting - please invest in a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb-- are you in the uk? I can post a link to a website you can get one - also zoo med 24" fixture w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 is good for a 40+ gallon tank- surface basking temps should be 105-110 F for a baby- 95-100 F for a juvie/ adult - those temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- they are the most accurate - the placement and distance for the uvb will be determined by your screen if there is one

Gracen89

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please get rid of the coil- your dragon is starting to exhibit behavior that will get worse---- she's getting no uvb which she cannot digest the calcium she's getting - please invest in a Arcadia pro T 5 w/ a 12% bulb-- are you in the uk? I can post a link to a website you can get one - also zoo med 24" fixture w/ a reptisun 10.0 T 5 is good for a 40+ gallon tank- surface basking temps should be 105-110 F for a baby- 95-100 F for a juvie/ adult - those temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- they are the most accurate - the placement and distance for the uvb will be determined by your screen if there is one
Nah I’m in Australia, we have a digital probe in under her basking lights and it’s always around 105 -110F.
I think we will get her a new uvb globe and see how that goes it the only thing we can see could be the issue.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nah I’m in Australia, we have a digital probe in under her basking lights and it’s always around 105 -110F.
I think we will get her a new uvb globe and see how that goes it the only thing we can see could be the issue.
Globe are you talking about a mvb- if you go that route you will need to also get the uvb I posted - mvb do not put out enough uvb and basically are a glorified heat bulb - mega rays are the best on the market some mvb's will cause eye issues where the uvb's I posted are safer on the eyes - your dragons health is critical in the 1st years of life- if given inadequate uvb will set up long term health issues- just saying

Gracen89

Bearded Dragon Egg
Globe are you talking about a mvb- if you go that route you will need to also get the uvb I posted - mvb do not put out enough uvb and basically are a glorified heat bulb - mega rays are the best on the market some mvb's will cause eye issues where the uvb's I posted are safer on the eyes - your dragons health is critical in the 1st years of life- if given inadequate uvb will set up long term health issues- just saying
I got the 22inch T5 24w uvb reptisun light

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got the 22inch T5 24w uvb reptisun light
Awesome - now what is the screen like on your tank- if there is one- is it a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No screen it’s mounted in the tank
I thought so ok- make sure distance is 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece - watch his behavior - his appetite should increase his colors will be brighter

Gracen89

Bearded Dragon Egg
I thought so ok- make sure distance is 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor piece - watch his behavior - his appetite should increase his colors will be brighter
Awesome I really hope so! Thanks for your help!

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys,

View attachment 32500
Remove the colored/coiled bulb ASAP, theybare horrible for their eyes & the coiled ones provide little to no UVB. Beardies need heat and UVB. The best heat lamp is the zoomed basking bulb and all heat bulbs need to be clear with no color. For the UVB; the best and most recommended one is the Reptisun 10.0 T5 it’s a long tubular bulb and the length u order should cover 70 percent of the tank and needs replacing religiously every 6Mnths. Order this from Amazon or a specialty reptile store. Place the UVB long light starting at the hot/basking side. Also get a hideaway for the dragon and a fleece blanket they need a hideaway basking platform to be able to lounge/hide and get away from the heat or uvb as needed. Here are some pics. Also consider having the hammock behind the basking spot or in front of it so there are 2 areas for lounging at a hotter or mediocre temp. Without proper heat or uvb the Beardie will not be able to absorb vitamin D or breakdown the calcium powder or be able to eat move or walk and will have brittle bones and get MBD. Here are some pics. Also never feed mealworms or bottled food. Only crickets and Dubia Roaches and a plate of greens and veggies everyday to snack on the best are : mustard greens, yellow squash, butternut squash, collard Greens, endives, and for fruits 1-2 times a week; Blueberries, papayas and mangoes. Calcium powder 3-4 times a week once per day sprinkled like salt on fries on the proteins or veggies and do the herptivite vitamin powder once per day/week on a noncalcium day. Mist the dragon with dechlorinated spray bottle 2-3 times a day and baths twice per week and more when shedding for 15min minimum. Buy Reptisafe drops to remove the chlorine

Attachments

• 22D3EFB8-2875-45A0-AEF1-AEDA940E0999.jpeg
    22D3EFB8-2875-45A0-AEF1-AEDA940E0999.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • 50DC94B5-4697-47A7-BFC1-A890622D7650.jpeg
    50DC94B5-4697-47A7-BFC1-A890622D7650.jpeg
    796.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 8A805081-8597-4D50-A71C-4BF71B36C218.jpeg
    8A805081-8597-4D50-A71C-4BF71B36C218.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • E0D75134-D1BC-433F-828F-9BCA5F3AEE07.jpeg
    E0D75134-D1BC-433F-828F-9BCA5F3AEE07.jpeg