• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this light set up okay?

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
I have a 40 gallon tank for my juvenile, and I have two 100 watt basking lamps, two 75 watt basking lamps, a 150 watt heat emitter, and a T5 10.0 UVB 22'' lamp. The reason there's so many basking lamps is because that's the only way I can get it up to 100 degrees on the warm side, and the cool side is barely getting 80. Is this a fire hazard? Is there a better way to get it up to temp without SO many bulbs? (One of the double domes is empty, I just one one bulb in it)
16370855109526259017862341098107.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have a 40 gallon tank for my juvenile, and I have two 100 watt basking lamps, two 75 watt basking lamps, a 150 watt heat emitter, and a T5 10.0 UVB 22'' lamp. The reason there's so many basking lamps is because that's the only way I can get it up to 100 degrees on the warm side, and the cool side is barely getting 80. Is this a fire hazard? Is there a better way to get it up to temp without SO many bulbs? (One of the double domes is empty, I just one one bulb in it)View attachment 30778
How are you getting those temps? No stick ons please-- the T 5 is ok on top of screen it's a wider hole please put a piece of basking decor directly under it- 8-10 inches-- is the tank on the floor by a window or vent?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
That’s a lot of light for a 40gallon…… where do u live?? Alaska?? I had just a 75watt basking bulb and a 24” inch uvb……. I dont think its wrong per-say, but definitely something I haven’t seem before……

Attachments

• E0F3D71E-3662-4063-AD93-4D0F8F18D61F.png
    E0F3D71E-3662-4063-AD93-4D0F8F18D61F.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 11

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I think its a fire hazard, (but only cause those lamps are pieces of crap, no real good options out there) but im just a stupid kid what do i know……i do see ur problem now though, Ur loosing all ur heat out of the top, id cut out a piece of cardboard to fit the top (he’ll get plenty of ventilation don’t worry) then draw circles for all ur lights , then cut em out, i got my beardy 2 winters ago, and thats what i had to do, i have cardboard cutouts on top of all 3 of my enclosures, 2 with extremely high humidity too…

Attachments

• C6605A7A-FC0B-47EE-B746-945264B6C662.jpeg
    C6605A7A-FC0B-47EE-B746-945264B6C662.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
I think its a fire hazard, (but only cause those lamps are pieces of crap, no real good options out there) but im just a stupid kid what do i know……i do see ur problem now though, Ur loosing all ur heat out of the top, id cut out a piece of cardboard to fit the top (he’ll get plenty of ventilation don’t worry) then draw circles for all ur lights , then cut em out, i got my beardy 2 winters ago, and thats what i had to do, i have cardboard cutouts on top of all 3 of my enclosures, 2 with extremely high humidity too…
I'd be really worried the cardboard would catch on fire if I did that

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
That’s a lot of light for a 40gallon…… where do u live?? Alaska?? I had just a 75watt basking bulb and a 24” inch uvb……. I dont think its wrong per-say, but definitely something I haven’t seem before……
New Hampshire, it gets REALLY cold here and I also like my room chilly. Would another ceramic heat emitter be better than so many basking lights?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
New Hampshire, it gets REALLY cold here and I also like my room chilly. Would another ceramic heat emitter be better than so many basking lights?
Not until your getting actual basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer- then we can go from there- placement of the tank is also a factor where it's sitting

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
Not until your getting actual basking temps w/ a digital probe thermometer- then we can go from there- placement of the tank is also a factor where it's sitting
I am using a digital probe. It's in the corner of my room not around vents or anything.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

I am using a digital probe. It's in the corner of my room not around vents or anything.
Are you placing the probe on the basking spot where he sits? You only need one basking spot of 95-100 for adult/ juvie 105-110 for a baby--- to me you have too many lights -- what is the wattage your using? You will need a che placed on the top screen center of tank if your tank is dropping below 65 at nite- that you can use a stick on for ambient temp

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
Are you placing the probe on the basking spot where he sits? You only need one basking spot of 95-100 for adult/ juvie 105-110 for a baby--- to me you have too many lights -- what is the wattage your using? You will need a che placed on the top screen center of tank if your tank is dropping below 65 at nite- that you can use a stick on for ambient temp
Yes I did place it there. I can get it up to about 101 with all the lights I have. I am using two 100 watts and 2 75 watts basking lights AND. A che which I feel is crazy but I really don't know what else to do. Is it possible to insulate the top of the screen or something?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I did place it there. I can get it up to about 101 with all the lights I have. I am using two 100 watts and 2 75 watts basking lights AND. A che which I feel is crazy but I really don't know what else to do. Is it possible to insulate the top of the screen or something?
Yes that seems like overkill- what is the dragon doing? Is he basking? You can cut a piece of wood place over a 1/4 of the tank on top see if that will retain some heat- your gonna haft to watch the temps of his basking spot and the cool side of the tank -

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
Yes that seems like overkill- what is the dragon doing? Is he basking? You can cut a piece of wood place over a 1/4 of the tank on top see if that will retain some heat- your gonna haft to watch the temps of his basking spot and the cool side of the tank -
The dragon is coming tomorrow so he isn't here quite yet. Would the wood be a fire hazard on the tank like that? I'm thinking I can lay it on the cool side where I don't have any lights

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The dragon is coming tomorrow so he isn't here quite yet. Would the wood be a fire hazard on the tank like that? I'm thinking I can lay it on the cool side where I don't have any lights
Yes lay it on top of the cool side watch those temps on that side of the tank --- start w/ one 100 watt then add a 75 if you need it -- but do not start off w/ all those lights on after you place the wood on the cool side of the tank --- you can use a stick on on the cool side of the tank those are going to be ambient temps --- you want 3 temps in the tank and hot basking side and middle temp of 90's and the cool side 80"s --- temps at nite 65 -75 that can be ambient temp --

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
Yes lay it on top of the cool side watch those temps on that side of the tank --- start w/ one 100 watt then add a 75 if you need it -- but do not start off w/ all those lights on after you place the wood on the cool side of the tank --- you can use a stick on on the cool side of the tank those are going to be ambient temps --- you want 3 temps in the tank and hot basking side and middle temp of 90's and the cool side 80"s --- temps at nite 65 -75 that can be ambient temp --
Thank you very much for the advice. Should I be worried about the wood igniting?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you very much for the advice. Should I be worried about the wood igniting?
No not if its no where near the basking bulbs -- I would not set anything on top of the wood if its hot -- you can keep your worms on top of it or your supplements etc

Tyguy

Hatchling Dragon
No not if its no where near the basking bulbs -- I would not set anything on top of the wood if its hot -- you can keep your worms on top of it or your supplements etc
Thanks so much, I think this will really help!

Latest posts