• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is there anything else I can do for this baby?

Middy

Bearded Dragon Egg
I own 2 bearded dragons, one going on 2 years and the other 8 months. Both are huge, thick and active boys, but my problem isn't with them XD

I went into a neighboring petstore and happened to over hear that they had a free bearded dragon because it was missing some feet and they mentioned that he was slowly going downhill. I decided to get him out of that environment and asked to see him. This poor thing looked absolutely dreadful. He was no bigger than my thumb (plus tail), no back feet, sunken in eyes and you could tell they were force feeding him that sticky reptiaide (his mouth had not been washed and was pretty much glued shut on one side) and his eyes are barely open.

I took him home and immediately gave him a warm bath to wash off that gunk. I called my vet for some special advice. My vet is very good, he's saved several dragons with MBD (one which is his office pet).

So from his advice and my research I have been hand feeding him a mush mix of baby food, pedialyte, water and calcium. The past three days he's been eating about 2 cc of this mush 2x a day. I also don't think the store had him under a UVB light because he spends most of his time under that light. The baby food I've been using is a mango and papaya mix, carrot and butter squash mix and a chicken flavor all Gerber baby.

My main question is for anyone who's rehabilitated possibly with this method before, I've never had to go to these extremes. How long should I keep him on this mush? I still have to convince him to eat. Is there anything else I can add to the mix or better baby food? I'll be adding a multivitamin to the mix and alternate it with the calcium.

Any advice would be great, my vet pretty much said theres nothing I can do other than make sure he's getting his lights and proper vitamins for him to stand a chance.

He's fairly active, when I hold him he wants to climb up my arm, but I'm still concerned about him. Oh and I'm calling him DrumbStix. He's very sweet and clings to my fingers =3

Heres his picture just to tug at the heart strings.
o7qbzq.jpg

x3s2eq.jpg

Jaycies

Juvenile Dragon
Reading this just broke my heart. He is such a lucky little guy to have someone like you rescue him. I'm not knowledgeable enough to give you advice on anything more to do than you are (you taught me a few things in this post) but I do hope you will keep us posted!!!!!! Sending you and your baby sweet hugs.

Middy

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I have been continuing what I've been doing. I added multivitamin to the mix and one of his 3 meals a day was the insides of a wax worm (yes it is gross inside) Trying to give him is natural diet protein, calories and fat.

Unfortunately I went to him this morning for his first meal and he's acting strange. He was perfectly normal when I put him to bed, but today he is holding his head oddly. He's holding it straight up and at an angle, very unnatural. When I picked him up he started flipping back flips and he can't straighten his head. I checked his neck and back, nothing looks broken (which would be odd, his substrate is a bunch of towels and bearded dragon lounge pads super soft!) He still too his water and wax worm insides like normal, but he won't hold his head right. I don't really know what's up with him..The only other time I see a dragon do something like this is when they got a bad cricket bite on the neck and I'v never given him a live cricket in the week I've had him. I'm hoping for the best and I've gone into full mommy mode and researching like crazy. Any help or sites to look at would be great.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, im glad you are trying to help this kid.

If i may offer some advice.
1. Feed him appropriate sized cricket. It will be easiest since you will have to force feed to just pinch the crickets head and pinch the rear legs off. I would recommend feeding atleast 6 at each feeding.
2. You can inject a cricket or two with water to help with hydration.
3. For the eyes. I would recommend daily cleaning them out with water, If your not able to take him to a vet. you can try terramycin which you can buy at LLLreptile. Without test on the infection it is a toss up whether terramycin will work.
4. Soak daily in warm water.

Leighleigh

Bearded Dragon Egg
Love him and let him sleep with you at night, give him special attention and alot of tlc. Bearded dragins are very strong confort and tlc. You also might want to ask your vets about formula for your baby beardie it helps. Its not much more diferennt then
A baby drinking formula good for growing bones and health. Good luck you are a very strong person for helping such a beautiful and very intelligent animal out and I hope that everything works out for you.

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I have been continuing what I've been doing. I added multivitamin to the mix and one of his 3 meals a day was the insides of a wax worm (yes it is gross inside) Trying to give him is natural diet protein, calories and fat.

Unfortunately I went to him this morning for his first meal and he's acting strange. He was perfectly normal when I put him to bed, but today he is holding his head oddly. He's holding it straight up and at an angle, very unnatural. When I picked him up he started flipping back flips and he can't straighten his head. I checked his neck and back, nothing looks broken (which would be odd, his substrate is a bunch of towels and bearded dragon lounge pads super soft!) He still too his water and wax worm insides like normal, but he won't hold his head right. I don't really know what's up with him..The only other time I see a dragon do something like this is when they got a bad cricket bite on the neck and I'v never given him a live cricket in the week I've had him. I'm hoping for the best and I've gone into full mommy mode and researching like crazy. Any help or sites to look at would be great.
Your doing the best that you can.... It's extremely hard to do..... But what you said here in this post about the head straight up and flip flopping around..... I'm sorry to say that's very bad..... It is called stargazing basically your beardie is having seizures and it's equilibrium is outta wack...... There really isn't much more you can do...... You can keep trying to do what you are doing but I had one do this and I did everything you are and got meds from my vet spent hundreds trying to help her and she ended up passing..... If she keeps this head straight up and arching her back u may want to look into ending her suffering. Keep a eye on her and go from there... I wish you the best of luck.

Elemental Dragon Lord

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Your doing the best that you can.... It's extremely hard to do..... But what you said here in this post about the head straight up and flip flopping around..... I'm sorry to say that's very bad..... It is called stargazing basically your beardie is having seizures and it's equilibrium is outta wack...... There really isn't much more you can do...... You can keep trying to do what you are doing but I had one do this and I did everything you are and got meds from my vet spent hundreds trying to help her and she ended up passing..... If she keeps this head straight up and arching her back u may want to look into ending her suffering. Keep a eye on her and go from there... I wish you the best of luck.
This is 100% truth unfortunately.

misskatie

Juvenile Dragon
Go on YouTube or Facebook even and look up webe reptiles Michael is extremely knowledgable and has years and years of bearded dragon experience and he's super nice! He can work miracles

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
I own 2 bearded dragons, one going on 2 years and the other 8 months. Both are huge, thick and active boys, but my problem isn't with them XD

I went into a neighboring petstore and happened to over hear that they had a free bearded dragon because it was missing some feet and they mentioned that he was slowly going downhill. I decided to get him out of that environment and asked to see him. This poor thing looked absolutely dreadful. He was no bigger than my thumb (plus tail), no back feet, sunken in eyes and you could tell they were force feeding him that sticky reptiaide (his mouth had not been washed and was pretty much glued shut on one side) and his eyes are barely open.

I took him home and immediately gave him a warm bath to wash off that gunk. I called my vet for some special advice. My vet is very good, he's saved several dragons with MBD (one which is his office pet).

So from his advice and my research I have been hand feeding him a mush mix of baby food, pedialyte, water and calcium. The past three days he's been eating about 2 cc of this mush 2x a day. I also don't think the store had him under a UVB light because he spends most of his time under that light. The baby food I've been using is a mango and papaya mix, carrot and butter squash mix and a chicken flavor all Gerber baby.

My main question is for anyone who's rehabilitated possibly with this method before, I've never had to go to these extremes. How long should I keep him on this mush? I still have to convince him to eat. Is there anything else I can add to the mix or better baby food? I'll be adding a multivitamin to the mix and alternate it with the calcium.

Any advice would be great, my vet pretty much said theres nothing I can do other than make sure he's getting his lights and proper vitamins for him to stand a chance.

He's fairly active, when I hold him he wants to climb up my arm, but I'm still concerned about him. Oh and I'm calling him DrumbStix. He's very sweet and clings to my fingers =3

Heres his picture just to tug at the heart strings.
o7qbzq.jpg

x3s2eq.jpg
Sorry to hear such a sad story and well done you.for givin this beardie a little bit of help. Hows the little 1 gettin on?

Latest posts