• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is petco that bad?

Zeesdragonz02

Bearded Dragon Egg
In an earlier post I mentioned that I wanted a new beardie. But I hear about all these horrible things from people about petco and pets mart. I understand they don't take care of their animals, but that's why I feel so bad. Should I adopt a new beardie from a store like that and potentially save its life? Or should I invest my time in finding a breeder? My rico is a dragon from petco and she is fine. Do any of you have any suggestions where I should find myself a bearded dragon.. I'm looking for a baby to juvenile

_zee

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
Petsmart and Petco are just retail companies. There are several other companies similar online. The only difference is that you actually get to see what goes on with the animals in Petco and Petsmart. They also have pretty good customer service and a 14 day guarantee. Other than the lack of knowledge from sales associates they usually turn out pretty good. I mean how is rico doing? Of course when you buy from a reputable breeder you know what you get. You can ask for bloodlines, hatch dates, etc. Ultimately it's really up to you. Good Luck :)

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
I agree. If everything seems to check out with the dragon you see, by all means pick it up (c'mon, you know we're all guilty of buying from the major chains at least ONE time :D). That being said, remember, if you buy a sick animal in poor conditions from ANY pet store, you are directly supporting their mistreatment of animals.

Deep and a bit dark, I know. But true, and something to consider! I wish I didn't have to say it, but there is money to be made in this hobby and with that you will have those willing to sacrifice integrity to make it.

Zeesdragonz02

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes she is doing fine better now, i changed her lights about 2 weeks ago so shes been more active lately. i started at petco with the starter kit by zilla, and with my and their lack of knowledge ..they obviously didn't tell me those lights and flooring wasn't good for my beardie. But when I got her she was active, looked alert, but again I was a noob and didn't know what to look for and not to, not like I do now.. I wouldn't trade her for the world I love my Reekie... do you know any well known breeders online i could check out, or if there is anyone on this site who I could contact? I do want to be able to see at least pictures of what I'm getting. Female or male doesn't matter to me I'm jut looking for a baby to adolescent

_zee

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
You have to be really careful even on Fauna Classifieds. I found a breeder on there and they had pretty good reviews but then when an animal is shipped you see the true breeding practices come out in the animal. Dino showed signs of illness the very next day after he was shipped to me and a vet visit showed he had very high number of Giardia and then later another stool sample showed Coccidia and pinworms. Once you get an animal shipped all guarantees are off. Dino has turned into quite an expensive BD. But I love him and I will do whatever it takes to make him well again.

Zeesdragonz02

Bearded Dragon Egg
I went in today with my sister and niece and they only had one baby clinging on for life. He could barely lift his head up. His temp was only 90.. He was fed though, had greens and worms and water one employee said they don't get a lot of shipments in the winter because of the temps and traveling, BDs don't tend to do well. It's just so sad to see :(

_zee

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
Oh wow. My local Petsmart has fat beardies and always very active. I wouldn't say they're the best, but they sell a ton of beardies. I used to go buy crickets often and every time I went there were different ones in there. Then again, I live in south Texas. My "winter" is about 6 weeks and temps drop to about 40F.

basedonfact

Hatchling Dragon
I would suggest looking at all the local retail pet stores if you decide to buy one through that means; Even within a nationwide chain, there can be HUGE varieties of levels of care between stores. As someone who works at a retail pet store, I am amazed sometimes by the differing levels of care. I personally work at a store where we do not hire pet care associates that are not truly passionate and knowledgeable, and our animals are taken to an amazing local exotics vet at any sign of illness. Talk to the employees, look at the animals. Even though I will never be fond of the idea of buying animals that come from mill-type situations, if there isn't another good option for you, you can feel confident in knowing that when a store does well in live pet sales, other stores look to them to find out what they're doing right. You play a small part in changing the entire structure of how large retailers run by being choosy about where you shop.

That being said, if you have any local breeders or rescues, that's amazing too! To me, it's important to see an animal I am bringing home. With any breeders that ship their animals, there is always a risk. Never underestimate the power of reviews.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Honestly, I bought Jethro at PetCo. I did my research before hand as I hadn't done when I got my geckos (did research after I got Merlin 'cause she was a "Let's get her for the thrill of the moment"). I think that as long as you do your research, and have the proper set up, then where you get your pet is up to you. A lot of people prefer breeders with actual knowledge and success rates, but at the same time they are more expensive usually. All in all, I have done really well with Jethro. He hasn't given me any issues other than recently not wanting to eat his veggies >_> .... seriously what's with that? Goober doesn't realize how spoiled he is. I don't particularly like my PetCo here, they don't have a freakin' clue on how to care for the animals what-so-ever. They're only interested in the sale. I'm glad I got Jethro though, he's an awesome bearded dragon :)

Zeesdragonz02

Bearded Dragon Egg
I went in petco today and they had a nice supply of beardies all looked alert and very healthy! I have my eye on one hopefully I get him for my birthday ;) he's georgous navy and blue.. And the other is orange blue and yellow.. I wish they kept their blue as they aged its so amazing

_zee

Pat B

Super Moderator
Pet stores are all about making money! I went to my local Petsmart for crickets and always check the beardies. They are so tiny, I just don't know how they would survive. Yesterday when I went there were about 8 babies in a viv 12 x 12. They were climbing all over each other, nasty food and messy viv. It is a shame and if you complain....doesn't do a d*** bit of good. Money is the end game!!

luissandoval87

Hatchling Dragon
I just think the employees lack the adequate knowledge to care for the pets the store sells. Then again it depends on the store's employees, managers, owner, etc. My local petsmart takes fairly average care of the dragons and like I said before they actually fly out of there some don't even last a day in their care.

LittleMerlin

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Gah I wish I could make a complaint that would actually be heard and dealt with at our PetCo. They infuriate me so much, not just with their reptiles but other pets too. They don't know what they're doing, hired people desperate for jobs with no knowledge of animal care, even in the grooming section. Dogs have come out afraid to go back in because of the way they're treated! They had lights off fish tanks one day I was in 'cause one fish got sick and then the disease spread to all their tanks, and all they did was turn the freakin' lights off. That's it. Then it turns out it was just the one fish, so they finally started selling the fish again. Same with their birds, their birds cages are always messy, and I've never seen them cleaned. It's just so filthy there, I'm surprised they're still in business.

Latest posts