• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is one T5 Lamp 30% UVA 12% UVB enough for a 115x40x50 cm enclosure?

Thony

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello there!

We gave our little beardie a smaller enclosure when he was younger, since we are students and had insufficient funds for a bigger terrarium.

We decided it should be a good idea to upgrade the size of his enclosure by buying a new terrarium - 115(length) x 40(width) x 50(height) cm ( ~ 45 x 15 x 19 inches ). I am aware of the smaller width-size, but because of small space in my room I sadly cannot make it any bigger.

I want help with the lightning & heating of this bigger enclosure. I did some research and found a T5 Lamp Arcadia D3+ with 12% UVB and 30% UVA (in length of 85cm [33 inches]) (I will be buying a reflector with it as well). (eBay link)

• Is that sufficient enough with a simple heat lamp in terms of lightning, heating & UVB + UVA?
• What wattage of heat lamp should I buy?
• Can you show me what kind of heat lamp you use?
• How high should the heat lamp be to not burn our beardie, heat the enclosure properly and ensure a proper basking spot?
• Our beardie has the ability to climb to the ceiling because of the 3D background we use. It is stated in the lamps description to use it 30cm away from the surface. The lamp will just be… hanging 20cm from the ceiling like that? Will the beardie get enough of UVA and UVB if he just decides to be at the most TOP of his 3D background? Could he not hurt himself by jumping on the lamp?

Thank you all for any replies and help. I appreciate it in advance.

- Tony :)

Thony

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello there!

We gave our little beardie a smaller enclosure when he was younger, since we are students and had insufficient funds for a bigger terrarium.

We decided it should be a good idea to upgrade the size of his enclosure by buying a new terrarium - 115(length) x 40(width) x 50(height) cm ( ~ 45 x 15 x 19 inches ). I am aware of the smaller width-size, but because of small space in my room I sadly cannot make it any bigger.

I want help with the lightning & heating of this bigger enclosure. I did some research and found a T5 Lamp Arcadia D3+ with 12% UVB and 30% UVA (in length of 85cm [33 inches]) (I will be buying a reflector with it as well). (eBay link)

• Is that sufficient enough with a simple heat lamp in terms of lightning, heating & UVB + UVA?
• What wattage of heat lamp should I buy?
• Can you show me what kind of heat lamp you use?
• How high should the heat lamp be to not burn our beardie, heat the enclosure properly and ensure a proper basking spot?
• Our beardie has the ability to climb to the ceiling because of the 3D background we use. It is stated in the lamps description to use it 30cm away from the surface. The lamp will just be… hanging 20cm from the ceiling like that? Will the beardie get enough of UVA and UVB if he just decides to be at the most TOP of his 3D background? Could he not hurt himself by jumping on the lamp?

Thank you all for any replies and help. I appreciate it in advance.

UPDATE:

Okay so I found a better solution to the “20cm hanging from the ceiling lamp.”

There is another T5 Lamp - Arcadia T5 UVB 14% UVA 30%. With reflector this lamp is supposed to be 45-50cm away from the surface, which is great, since we have a 50cm terrarium - now I have a different problem in terms of the T5 lamp - because we have a 50cm terarium, will this lamp not be… too much for the beardie?

Thanks for the answers once again,

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
UPDATE:

Okay so I found a better solution to the “20cm hanging from the ceiling lamp.”

There is another T5 Lamp - Arcadia T5 UVB 14% UVA 30%. With reflector this lamp is supposed to be 45-50cm away from the surface, which is great, since we have a 50cm terrarium - now I have a different problem in terms of the T5 lamp - because we have a 50cm terarium, will this lamp not be… too much for the beardie?

Thanks for the answers once again,

Hi Tony the Pro T 5 is a good bulb w/ a 12% bulb do not go w/ the 14% bulb they require a height of at least 24" -- your tank is only 20"-- it needs to be inside the tank directly over your basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- the basking bulb should be a clear solid bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 F for a baby and 95-100 F for a juvie / adult --- examples of the bulbs are Exo Terra Intense -- Flukers-- or Zoo Med Repti basking or Arcadia Halogen bulbs --- its going to be trial and error w/ the wattage -- it will depend on the screen if there is one or if its solid - the room hes in if its a cold room or warm room -- if hes on the floor or on a stand / dresser/ or if hes by a window those all effect the temps in the tank along w/ if its a wooden enclosure or a glass tank -- your tank is a 60 gallon tank - the 22" fixture should be ok I would try and get a 24" fixture if you can -- also make sure your using a digital probe thermometer for surface basking temps -- you want 2 of those one for the basking side and one for your cool side of the tank --

Thony

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi Tony the Pro T 5 is a good bulb w/ a 12% bulb do not go w/ the 14% bulb they require a height of at least 24" -- your tank is only 20"-- it needs to be inside the tank directly over your basking decor piece 12-15 inches -- the basking bulb should be a clear solid bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 F for a baby and 95-100 F for a juvie / adult --- examples of the bulbs are Exo Terra Intense -- Flukers-- or Zoo Med Repti basking or Arcadia Halogen bulbs --- its going to be trial and error w/ the wattage -- it will depend on the screen if there is one or if its solid - the room hes in if its a cold room or warm room -- if hes on the floor or on a stand / dresser/ or if hes by a window those all effect the temps in the tank along w/ if its a wooden enclosure or a glass tank -- your tank is a 60 gallon tank - the 22" fixture should be ok I would try and get a 24" fixture if you can -- also make sure your using a digital probe thermometer for surface basking temps -- you want 2 of those one for the basking side and one for your cool side of the tank --

Thank you for the reply!

Alright, I’ll get the 12% one. If I put it 15 inches away from the basking spot though, it will hang 4 inches from the ceiling. I am still scared about our little devil jumping on the lamp. Should I be concerned?

Thank you for the list of heat bulbs. I will look into them and try to figure out the wattage.

What do you mean by the fixtures? You mean Where the lamp will be fixed? I thought the lamp is supposed to be inside of the terrarium. The terrarium will be in height of 19 inches and I dont understand the 22 inches fixture you stated.

I am aware of the need of the thermometers. I was looking at which ones I should buy as well.

Thank you so much for your time to reply. I really appreciate it.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for the reply!

Alright, I’ll get the 12% one. If I put it 15 inches away from the basking spot though, it will hang 4 inches from the ceiling. I am still scared about our little devil jumping on the lamp. Should I be concerned?

Thank you for the list of heat bulbs. I will look into them and try to figure out the wattage.

What do you mean by the fixtures? You mean Where the lamp will be fixed? I thought the lamp is supposed to be inside of the terrarium. The terrarium will be in height of 19 inches and I dont understand the 22 inches fixture you stated.

I am aware of the need of the thermometers. I was looking at which ones I should buy as well.

Thank you so much for your time to reply. I really appreciate it.

Your looking at a UVB fixture / hood of 22" long? I would try and get one that is 24" long -- like this
this is an example
Go by the distance from the basking decor to the UVB -- you want it 12-15 inches directly above your decor piece
the dragon should not be be able to jump on to the UVB fixture / hood I dont know why she would do that and if your back ground is allowing that I would take it down or place the hood away from that back wall like in the center of the tank --

Thony

Bearded Dragon Egg
Your looking at a UVB fixture / hood of 22" long? I would try and get one that is 24" long -- like this
this is an example
Go by the distance from the basking decor to the UVB -- you want it 12-15 inches directly above your decor piece
the dragon should not be be able to jump on to the UVB fixture / hood I dont know why she would do that and if your back ground is allowing that I would take it down or place the hood away from that back wall like in the center of the tank --

Oh! I get it now.

Well I will not be purchasing the lamp from eBay and I haven’t noticed that there is a difference in length between the one I want to buy - the eBay Link was just for refference. Sorry for that.

I am going to buy the lamp from a store that is near me (from Czech). The lamp will be 85cm (33.5 inches). Is that too much?

The lamp will be in the center, on the most-right side of the enclosure, with a heat bulb there too. Which means 85cm of T5 UVB from right to left, and 30cm spare with nothing (the cool side). Is that okay??

I will also try to somehow block him so that he won’t be able to jump on TOP of the lamp.

Thanks for any help again, you are a treasure.

- Tony

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oh! I get it now.

Well I will not be purchasing the lamp from eBay and I haven’t noticed that there is a difference in length between the one I want to buy - the eBay Link was just for refference. Sorry for that.

I am going to buy the lamp from a store that is near me (from Czech). The lamp will be 85cm (33.5 inches). Is that too much?

The lamp will be in the center, on the most-right side of the enclosure, with a heat bulb there too. Which means 85cm of T5 UVB from right to left, and 30cm spare with nothing (the cool side). Is that okay??

I will also try to somehow block him so that he won’t be able to jump on TOP of the lamp.

Thanks for any help again, you are a treasure.

- Tony
The hoods / fixtures come in different lengths- I have a 4x2x2 (120) gallon tank my hood is a 24" and its half the length of the tank -- you want it half or 2/3 of the tank -- he needs to be able to get out of the UVB rays w/ out hiding from them - so it sounds like your getting a 34" hood/ fixture -- I would go down to the 24" since your tank is 45" long correct which would be 4 feet long -- Arcadia makes hoods/ fixtures I believe in 22" - 46" inch long -- you want your bulb the 12% -- putting the UVB in the middle of the tank closest to the basking bulb if you can is optimal but you dont want him on top of it - your basking bulb should be at least 6" above the basking decor as well nothing closer or he can get burned --

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts