• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my theseus about to shed?

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
ok so i have notice some spots on his back thats started to come and he has been a lot better then what he use to act like but i have had him about 4 weeks so this all new to me do you think he is about to shed? I have stared to read other people comments and he has been acting like a BD thats about to shed i mean like his appitite(sorry if i spelt that wrong) has been bad but starting to get a good one! anything on what to do with a shedding BD will help to! ill upload a picture

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
theseus.JPG

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can't tell from the pic or know what light spots you are talking, we are not familiar with Theseus so we don't know what is different.

What you are describing could be the start of a shed. Areas will get duller\greyer in color as the old skin dies off, dries up & prepares to release from the new undergrowth. It is a process that there is nothing that you have to do other than daily mistings & reasonably frequent warm soaks to help hydrate the skin, which will make for a more comfortable shed. In another post, you mentioned that you are already misting daily & soaking every 2-3 days, this is enough. Never try to help a shed along by picking or peeling it off, it will release all on it's own & just fall off. After it has shed, you could cut back the soaks to once or twice a week.

It' sure a skinny little thing, now that things are setup a little better & it is getting it's appetite back, hopefully it will pack on some weight.

Have a Good One

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
Good point im new so you are not familar with theseus but if you look by its spine in the light spots. I gave it soak today and it looked like small type peices came off in the water. i am aware of not taking skin off by reading and looking at pictures of other peoples. thank so much!!:)

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Good point im new so you are not familar with theseus but if you look by its spine in the light spots. I gave it soak today and it looked like small type peices came off in the water. i am aware of not taking skin off by reading and looking at pictures of other peoples. thank so much!!:)
Are you talking about the patterning crossing his back? It looks normal to me. He's pretty dark in general, he should lighten up naturally now that you've gotten him under proper lighting. It might take a bit, but once he does, he will occasionally go dark again when he doesn't want to take in as much light. Germ's right, the skin will lighten and gray preceding a shed, and this will be some time in coming at times, but generally is over with pretty quickly when they're young. If some pieces are coming off in the water then it probably is a shed, but don't be too awful surprised if his entire color changes lighter with proper lighting.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They do not shed a scale at a time, generally large enough areas that you would notice prior to putting it in the tub. These are much older Dragons, but the only shed pics I have handy, to give you an idea.

Shows the pre shed greying & actual shed.
DemonArrow004.jpg

Shed in the bath
NitroSandyShedding005.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The word 'little' is relative, only when compared to something else. What is 'little' to you, might not be considered 'little' to someone else, depends on the perspective. Example: 12" is little when compared to a yard, tiny when compared to a mile, yet huge when compared to a millimeter.

Is there actually patches of skin coming off, similar to in the pics but smaller areas, just tiny specs, what? Are there small areas of the skin visibly flaking & peeling. I have not seen shed suddenly come off in the bath, that I did not see signs of being loose & peeling, when dry, before entering the bath. You have to be much more specific than that, or show clear pictures pinpointing what you are trying to say, so we understand what you mean.

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with Germ. It sounds like what you're trying to say sounds like a shed, but we can't be sure with what you're describing it as. Is there any way you can post a pic? That would be so awesome!

Latest posts