• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my cage too crowded, pics

kobe24

Hatchling Dragon
013.JPG
013.JPG
014.JPG
015.JPG
016.JPG
017.JPG
Hey guys, I have a 40 gallon exo terra cage for my dragon. I just added another branch to his cage and a hiding spot.
She never used a hiding spot when she was younger so i put one in now. It is important to have a hiding spot like that, right?
Also should the hiding spot be on the cold side of my cage?

So is the cage too crowded or do you guys think this will work ok. Thanks guys all of you are a great help, heres a pic.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Bearded Dragons require a decent amount of floor space. I'm not an expert, but I would say take one of the "branches" out. A hide is in important, but not an absolute necessity. They do need somewhere to get away from the heat and UVB, if they so desire. I've seen enclosures more cluttered than yours, but there is surely a lot going on there. :D The hide should be on the cool side. Maybe put it under the branch on the cool side, and take the other out? I'm sure Germ, or someone, will come along and either confirm, or debunk, my opinion.

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Yea , the floor space does look a little crowded . Maybe you can rest one of the branches on the hide ? I like the big rock ,is it real? Where did you get it ?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Too busy for my liking. I do not provide hides in most of my enclosures (Mine never use them unless they want to Brumate) & definitely not on the hot side, would be like an oven inside it, with no through air flow. The K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) Method is always best for these guys, at all ages.

What are you using for the basking spot, the box or the rock?

The holes left from the broken artificial branch provide great hiding places for crix. If you feed crix inside the enclosure, I have mentioned this to you before, I will bet that if you take the branch out & give it a shake, you will find crix in there, live or dead.

Pat B

Super Moderator
Yep....way too crowded. I don't use a hide....beardies don't really need them. My tank is very simple with a basking spot and a couple of rocks....nothing fancy. I have learned that it is the beardie owner that likes all the stuff and fluff to make their tank look 'pretty'. The beardie could care less.

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I agree. I only use a basking place and a couple of bowls and a hammock and nothing else. I took the background styro foam thing out of my exo terra because the crickets find a way to multiply back there. It is just taking up extra space in my opnion too.

Pat B

Super Moderator
@Ozzie....I had to take Spikes hammock out of his enclosure. He would never get off of it!! When he first went into brumation he was on his hammock. One of the suction cups came off and he fell....he took himself to the other side of the tank and went right back to sleep!!

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
Are you serious?? You mean Spike is back asleep again? I am seriously having my doubts on Dino ever waking up. Yes he is alive LOL. It is in the 80s here and I guess the warmer Weather doesn't make a difference if they come out of Brumation or not.

Pat B

Super Moderator
No no....this is when he went into brumation last October. I woke him up in January but he wasn't happy so he went back to sleep. Dino will know when it is time to wake up. It is so hard to be patient!! I have your chameleon for desktop wallpaper....thank you!! He is so beautiful!!

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've got a cardboard hide on the cool side, a large Habba Hut on the hot side, and a basking branch perched up on the Habba Hut. Allie does go under her Habba Hut some times. But she basks on the branch more than often. Sometimes, she'll not bask on her branch and will bask on the ground, dominating her little toy husky. I also have some fake plants hanging over the cardboard hide, two small decorative rocks, and a red hand held massager that she uses to push into the glass. She loves all of her decorations.

Latest posts