• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my bearded dragon on brumation? or being sick?

ssinkiwi97

Bearded Dragon Egg
1. I moved him to a new and bigger enclosure but he's not coming out from the hides. (hide is big)
2. He's always sleeping all day and night
3. bearded dragon black beard (he usually don't show black beard)
4. he was eating well the last few days but happens to start yesterday he's sleeping all-day
5. he doesn't like to be handled when I tried to handle him
6. lighting and heat = 6 am to 6 pm basking heat = 100F day =88 night = 75 ubv=10.0 t8 15

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
1. I moved him to a new and bigger enclosure but he's not coming out from the hides. (hide is big)
2. He's always sleeping all day and night
3. bearded dragon black beard (he usually don't show black beard)
4. he was eating well the last few days but happens to start yesterday he's sleeping all-day
5. he doesn't like to be handled when I tried to handle him
6. lighting and heat = 6 am to 6 pm
Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons --- UVB tube or a coil if a tube what bulb and where in the tank is it T 5 or T 8?
Incorrect lighting UVB and incorrect basking temps will simulate brumation behavior -- we need to get this figured out first

ssinkiwi97

Bearded Dragon Egg
Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons --- UVB tube or a coil if a tube what bulb and where in the tank is it T 5 or T 8?
Incorrect lighting UVB and incorrect basking temps will simulate brumation behavior -- we need to get this figured out first
since it's a new enclosure the bulb has not yet arrived. the old one used to be t5 ho 30" when he was living in glass cage

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
since it's a new enclosure the bulb has not yet arrived. the old one used to be t5 ho 30" when he was living in glass cage

What are you using now? Old one did you just replaced the bulb or the whole fixture etc?

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Sounds more like he isn't feeling too hot.

I'd take him to a vet if things don't start looking up, and definitely keep trying to find husbandry errors w/ other experienced keepers on the forum.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
the new enclosure is a PVC cage built-in ubv that uses t8 15. no bulb was included it's coming next week.
How big is the new enclosure -- if its bigger than a 40 gallon tank you need a 24" fixture w/ a T 5 bulb--- T 8's are more for smaller tanks like 35 gallon and less

ssinkiwi97

Bearded Dragon Egg
How big is the new enclosure -- if its bigger than a 40 gallon tank you need a 24" fixture w/ a T 5 bulb--- T 8's are more for smaller tanks like 35 gallon and less
its built-in so I can't do anything but to remove. the cage is 4ft by 2 by 2

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
its built-in so I can't do anything but to remove. the cage is 4ft by 2 by 2
You need a T 5 the T 8 is not strong enough--- distance inside a MUST and 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor

Latest posts