• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is my baby sick?

Eleese

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey everyone. I am a newbie to this forum and owning a baby beardie. We just got Rambo about two weeks ago. We’ll call him a he because I think he’s a boy. I believe he is about a month old. When we first got him he was very very scared would freak out just if I put my finger in his tank. He is now very comfortable with me. Loves his bathes and crawls all around my arms with no sign of stress. He hasn’t puffed at me or head bobbed for a week and a half. The problem I’m facing is he won’t eat. He ate three crickets today which was huge. Yesterday he ate one all day. The day before 0. And three days before that 4 altogether in three days. I’ve tried wax worms. Phoenix worms. Meal worms. Mango. Papaya. All types of greens. Apples. I can’t get him to eat! He is looking very very skinny and now his skin is saggy. He loves his bathes every other day and drinks when he is in the bath.

We have him in a 40 gal tank that is cut in half. His basking spot is 110-115. The cool side is 80-90. We have a uvb bulb for him. Also dust the crickets/food 5 times a week with calcium and 2 times a week with a multi vitamin. He poops about everyday. What he is pooping I have no idea because he barely eats lol he just sits on his rock or branch all day and doesn’t move unless I pick him up. He just stares at his food but doesn’t eat it.

I’ve tried hand feeding. Nothing works. I’m really worried about my little dude. Can someone give me some advice. Does he look healthy to you?

I really appreciate any help!

Attachments

• E7635151-A4D1-417F-BBFE-06424CFD0B77.jpeg
    E7635151-A4D1-417F-BBFE-06424CFD0B77.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 44
  • 84CE1940-587F-42DF-B048-D42EC831F8AE.jpeg
    84CE1940-587F-42DF-B048-D42EC831F8AE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 76C08A92-09D3-4AC2-B57E-279F98382F6C.jpeg
    76C08A92-09D3-4AC2-B57E-279F98382F6C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 44
  • EEDA83BB-3C76-468A-BCA1-2C855A60DA50.jpeg
    EEDA83BB-3C76-468A-BCA1-2C855A60DA50.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 44

Eleese

Bearded Dragon Egg
It’s just a single uvb bulb. He sits directly under it 80 percent of the day. Thanks for the reply

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
More specifically, you want a t5 10.0 Reptisun TUBE or an Arcadia 12% tube bulb. You also want a reflector hood fixture for the bulb to go into.

Eleese

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok thanks guys. Could this really be a reason he’s not eating? Does he look dangerously sick to u?

lesmisfan

Bearded Dragon Egg
if he's not receiving the proper UVB, yes he looks dangerously sick, because that causes metabolic Bone disease and can kill him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Janelle

Juvenile Dragon
It is very definitely a reason for them to not eat. WIthout proper UVB, they can't digest their food and get the needed nutrients from it. Without the nutrients, they won't have energy, and their bones will literally go soft. By the time you can SEE the results of metabolic bone disease, the condition can be treated, but any deformities are permanent. He's a little cutie. I'm glad you can get this fixed in time.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey everyone. I am a newbie to this forum and owning a baby beardie. We just got Rambo about two weeks ago. We’ll call him a he because I think he’s a boy. I believe he is about a month old. When we first got him he was very very scared would freak out just if I put my finger in his tank. He is now very comfortable with me. Loves his bathes and crawls all around my arms with no sign of stress. He hasn’t puffed at me or head bobbed for a week and a half. The problem I’m facing is he won’t eat. He ate three crickets today which was huge. Yesterday he ate one all day. The day before 0. And three days before that 4 altogether in three days. I’ve tried wax worms. Phoenix worms. Meal worms. Mango. Papaya. All types of greens. Apples. I can’t get him to eat! He is looking very very skinny and now his skin is saggy. He loves his bathes every other day and drinks when he is in the bath.

We have him in a 40 gal tank that is cut in half. His basking spot is 110-115. The cool side is 80-90. We have a uvb bulb for him. Also dust the crickets/food 5 times a week with calcium and 2 times a week with a multi vitamin. He poops about everyday. What he is pooping I have no idea because he barely eats lol he just sits on his rock or branch all day and doesn’t move unless I pick him up. He just stares at his food but doesn’t eat it.

I’ve tried hand feeding. Nothing works. I’m really worried about my little dude. Can someone give me some advice. Does he look healthy to you?

I really appreciate any help!
Welcome to the forum and to beardies.. You have a super cute dragon!! Great colors! He doesn't look that bad to me and you haven't had him that long for anything too serious..BUT having proper UVB asap is key..these little ones are tough.
You said you have a single UVB bulb is it a MVB that is heat and UVB or is it a coil UVB bulb?
I would cut up your greens into much smaller pieces..
Having the proper UVB will make a Big difference in their appetite..

Eleese

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is very definitely a reason for them to not eat. WIthout proper UVB, they can't digest their food and get the needed nutrients from it. Without the nutrients, they won't have energy, and their bones will literally go soft. By the time you can SEE the results of metabolic bone disease, the condition can be treated, but any deformities are permanent. He's a little cutie. I'm glad you can get this fixed in time.
THanks so much janelle

Eleese

Bearded Dragon Egg
Welcome to the forum and to beardies.. You have a super cute dragon!! Great colors! He doesn't look that bad to me and you haven't had him that long for anything too serious..BUT having proper UVB asap is key..these little ones are tough.
You said you have a single UVB bulb is it a MVB that is heat and UVB or is it a coil UVB bulb?
I would cut up your greens into much smaller pieces..
Having the proper UVB will make a Big difference in their appetite..
Thanks so much!! He wouldn’t eat anything this morning. I’m going to the store in a couple hrs to get the uvb tube. He is using. Single coil bulb now :( thanks everyone again

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks so much!! He wouldn’t eat anything this morning. I’m going to the store in a couple hrs to get the uvb tube. He is using. Single coil bulb now :( thanks everyone again
Most stores only carry T8 fixtures/bulbs. T5's are the best UVB option

Latest posts