• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

is my baby happy in her new home? is it suitable for her?

Lacy Reyes

Bearded Dragon Egg
Well today my bf got me a bearded dragon for valentines day. he also got me a 20 gallon tank, two hideaways and a waterbowl and crickets. the cage came with the purple heat bulb and a white day bulb that says used for uvb. i have the heat lamp over one side and the day light over the center. its a zilla brand habitat. the basking temp is about 90 and cool down side is about 70. We let the cage get warm before putting her in it. when we put her in the first thing she did was eat a cricket. theres two more in there running around. i havent bought calcium dust yet. but im going to tomorrow. Shes about 4-5 inches long, closer to four and a half. shes very docile and sweet. shes laying on her heat treated basking area hideaway which is what looks like half of a small hallowed out tree. He got everything at petsmart. she also has a taller rockish hideaway on the opposite side, maybe as tall as the baby tail to nose. i figured stone would help with cooling down. no heating pad or rock. and a stone like water bowl, shallow of course. I was curious if her laying on the log for a while not really moving is normal or if shes not happy already or..? Im pretty sure shes just doing what shes supposed to do in that spot, "bask" but i just wanna be sure. also any tips or new beardie advice would be great ⌒.⌒ also, what about bathing them? Do you think my hideaways are to tall for my baby? The logs about an inch shorter than the rock decor, and I sat her on the log she didn't go by herself.
Asked by

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi. Well a few things i see that you can change is. Basking spot needs to be from 105-110. cool side needs to be about 80-85. . The uvb should be as close to the basking spot as possible. Getting a tube style uvb made by repti sun and mounting inside just under the screen so no light gets filtered out by the screen is best. Ya just laying there and basking is normal thats how they digest there food. The water bowl you dont need in there most bd cant see the water in it if its not moving. And it will raise humidity. The hides shouldnt be to tall as long as he/she can get up/down easily. Post some pics of your enclosure may help a little more.:)
Have fun with your new friend

timbalan

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
One more thing is a 20 gal wont be big enough for him when hes bigger you should get at the smallest a 40 gal breeder tank sooner than later as they grow really fast

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Basking bulb and your UVB needs to change ASAP.

Should be either the basking spot bulbs like zoomed which r bright white. Or a halogen flood light. NOT PURPLE.

UVB should be ideally the length of tank either in front or behind the basking fixture and the reptisun 10.0 or the reptiglo 10.0 both sold at your petsmart. And MUST be changed yearly.

If your UVB is on top of the screen your beardie must be able to get within 8 to 10 inches of it. If it's under the screen within 10 - 12 inches I believe. It will be States on the package.

Also 20 gallon I'd good for a while but once it's a juvie it has to go in tank no smaller than what timbalan said 40 gallon breeder.

He is also correct about your temps 100 - 110 basking and 80-85 cool side. Also bear in mind humidity should be no higher than 20 percent during the day(light cycle)

Speaking of which make sure your lights are on a timer and are on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours the SAME time EVERYDAY.

Lots of info thrown at you but there is some work to these guys.

Welcome aboard.

Latest posts