• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it true .... ??

Carla0593

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello I only just heard that bearded dragons carry salmonella and want to know if this is true and if so what exactly causes it and is there any way you can tell if he does carry it?? (apart from catching it and being ill that is!) I'm a very paranoid person when it comes to any kind of illness, sickness that can spread and now I'm worried....

Any help?

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Hi , yes it is true. Im not sure why they carry it. Try not to worry and just practice good personal hygiene . Always wash your hands after handling your beardie !
Keep his enclosure clean , pick up poop as soon as possible, wash his food bowls in hot soapy water you should be fine . Most of all Love your beardie :D

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
They do carry Salmonella in their stools-well, actually all animals do inside their guts. Proper handwashing and keep the tank clean and keeping the bearded dragon clean should help minimize Salmonella. Allie is the cleanest reptile I've got other than the gerbil and bird. Any type of contact with their poop is a risk of Salmonella. If you're scared of handling poop, put on some vinyl gloves and clean the tank. Beardeds don't really like gloves when you pick him or her up. I know mine doesn't so I stopped putting gloves on.

And so keep loving your beardie. All that matters to them is the environment, love, care, and companionship of you. Mine has a huge bond to me. I wouldn't trade her for the world. She's so tame and companionable. To me, Allie's my child. My baby girl. Most reptiles also carry Salmonella.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Many reptiles can cause salmonella. Use general hygiene & there should not be a problem. In the 11 years that I have been around these guys, I have not had any issues, nor have I heard any others actually having the problem. The above posts state some good preventative measures. It has been said to use hygiene practices similar to when handling raw Chicken.

Many keepers keep a bottle of hand sanitizer near their enclosures.

Good Luck

mish13

Juvenile Dragon
Germ thats funny . I was thinking about the meat too. I worry more about the contaminates it leaves behind than my beardie . I spray the heck out of the counter after meat has been on it. Lol

Carla0593

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks for all advice :D

I do love my little beardy to bits and he also has a good character in him but as silly as I sound I feel like iv gone off him very very slightly after hearing about it.. Im so paranoid I keep cleaning and cleaning everything n anywhere he goes!!!!! going mad lol! (as I said, I cant stand being near anywhere that has virus/bugs/illness anything u name it)

This may be another bissar question but what if he poo'ed and your unaware of it and he treads in it... mines done it a few times and takes a while to get it off his body... does that mean its poss he has salmonella on him?? (I know I sound REALLY stupid but im curious!!!!) :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This may be another bissar question but what if he poo'ed and your unaware of it and he treads in it... mines done it a few times and takes a while to get it off his body... does that mean its poss he has salmonella on him?? (I know I sound REALLY stupid but im curious!!!!) :eek::eek::eek::rolleyes:
No, that is not a stupid question, BDs traipsing through their Poop is quite common & yes, this does raise the risks of salmonella, but once again the risks are minimal with proper hygeine, care & common sense.

http://www.cdc.gov/features/salmonellafrogturtle/

Ozzie&Dino

Juvenile Dragon
I don't think much of it because I am so use to using hand sanitizer all the time because I feed my 4 dogs Raw and I have had my Chameleon 3yrs so I knew that when I got him. I was more parinoid when Dino had parasites but now he is in Brumation and I sure miss spending quality time with my lil man:(

Pat B

Super Moderator
@Ozzie&Dino So your little Dino decided to take a long sleep? Ever since Spike woke up he has been a raging maniac....eats like no tomorrow, glass dances all afternoon then poops out about 4 pm. His color is awesome and only gets dark when he is hungry. Still not eating those darn greens. I wonder if he ever will!!

Latest posts