• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it normal for bearded dragon to get darker

Mushuthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello just got this bearded dragon 4 days ago and her color is a lot darker than when I first got her is that a bad sign?

Attachments

• 5D7A1C8C-46BB-4DF9-B5D1-E689FA32ED1A.jpeg
    5D7A1C8C-46BB-4DF9-B5D1-E689FA32ED1A.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 86BEC9B7-104C-48D0-925F-63F74FE37AF7.png
    86BEC9B7-104C-48D0-925F-63F74FE37AF7.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello just got this bearded dragon 4 days ago and her color is a lot darker than when I first got her is that a bad sign?
When is she dark? In the mornings when you first turn her lights on? They will get darker / black when they are cold- that is them trying to absorb the heat- please make sure your surface basking temps are 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- they are the most accurate - it needs to sit on the spot where he ? she sits to bask - leave till it stops getting the temp - please make sure you have a long tube fixture NO coils please -- coils are inadequate for UVB and cause all kinds of health issues- if using a long tube fixture it needs to be properly placed and distanced - your screen will determine this ---

Mushuthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
When is she dark? In the mornings when you first turn her lights on? They will get darker / black when they are cold- that is them trying to absorb the heat- please make sure your surface basking temps are 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- they are the most accurate - it needs to sit on the spot where he ? she sits to bask - leave till it stops getting the temp - please make sure you have a long tube fixture NO coils please -- coils are inadequate for UVB and cause all kinds of health issues- if using a long tube fixture it needs to be properly placed and distanced - your screen will determine this ---
The lighter pic is from the breeder but she was darker in color when I picked her up 4 days ago. I guess the pic he sent me wasn’t recent. She’s been darker since I got her. I’m using a 100w zoo med basking spot bulb with a dual dome light. The breeder said for temporary purposes a uvb bulb is okay until I get a uvb tube which I’ll get asap now. Would turning the heat up in my house help warm the tank up or do I have to do something else to get it hotter?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The lighter pic is from the breeder but she was darker in color when I picked her up 4 days ago. I guess the pic he sent me wasn’t recent. She’s been darker since I got her. I’m using a 100w zoo med basking spot bulb with a dual dome light. The breeder said for temporary purposes a uvb bulb is okay until I get a uvb tube which I’ll get asap now. Would turning the heat up in my house help warm the tank up or do I have to do something else to get it hotter?
You want 3 temps in the tank --- surface basking 105-110-- middle of tank 90's and cool end 80's during the day -- you can use analog for ambient ONLY- I have 2 digital probes in my tanks and 1 analog and I use a IR gun as well -- but the most accurate are the digital probes- please get a good long tube fixtures there are 3 of them that I recommend I can post links if you like - your tank will go to night time temps of the house unless the tank is in a colder room - I keep my house at 70 and my tanks drop to 68 - 70 or so --- I live in MN so at this time my ceramic heat emitters are not on - I haft to run them when we get temps below zero - then they keep the tanks around 70 -

Mushuthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just checked it’s at 106.9

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Just checked it’s at 106.9
Was that w / a digital probe? and on the spot where she sits? That should be plenty warm - relocation stress could be causing the different color as well -- they will also turn different colors when going into shed --

Mushuthebeardeddragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
You want 3 temps in the tank --- surface basking 105-110-- middle of tank 90's and cool end 80's during the day -- you can use analog for ambient ONLY- I have 2 digital probes in my tanks and 1 analog and I use a IR gun as well -- but the most accurate are the digital probes- please get a good long tube fixtures there are 3 of them that I recommend I can post links if you like - your tank will go to night time temps of the house unless the tank is in a colder room - I keep my house at 70 and my tanks drop to 68 - 70 or so --- I live in MN so at this time my ceramic heat emitters are not on - I haft to run them when we get temps below zero - then they keep the tanks around 70 -
Yes I would appreciate the links and yea I think all areas of my tank are alittle under on the temp it should be
Was that w / a digital probe? and on the spot where she sits? That should be plenty warm - relocation stress could be causing the different color as well -- they will also turn different colors when going into shed --
yes that’s at the basking spot but the middle and cold side are alittle lower than they should be. I read about a heating pad have you ever used one before?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes I would appreciate the links and yea I think all areas of my tank are alittle under on the temp it should be

yes that’s at the basking spot but the middle and cold side are alittle lower than they should be. I read about a heating pad have you ever used one before?
Yes but you want a ceramic heat emitter -- they can sit on top of the screen in a dome fixture w/ ceramic socket middle of the tank -- they produce NO light- you can also get a lower wattage regular house bulb no LED's they dont produce heat so the regular house hold bulb will and warm the middle of the tank up - I have a second basking area set up in my two tanks w/ the UVB set up - basking decor under it w/ temps on that decor piece in the 90's -

Latest posts