• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it normal for a young juvenile not to take to his greens?

shelby galloway

Hatchling Dragon
I just have a question. Is it normal that with spike being as young as he his that he wont eat salads or fruits or even a pelleted diet i just wanna ask if his apatite will change as he ages or do i have to stop feeding him cricket and offer greens and fruits
spike 3.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There are some BDs that will never take to Pellets at all. It is quite common for younger BDs not to take to their greens in the beginning, many won't touch them for many months, & that is okay. They should be made available to them every day, whether they eat them or not, so they are there when they take the notion to test them out. They will start eating them when they are ready. In the meantime be sure to provide warm soaks once or twice a week, along with misting every few days to ensure hydration. Be sure that your feeders are well hydrated by feeding them some of the greens that you would feed your BD along with a high protein diet. Again this is not an uncommon happening & is really nothing to worry about, as in their young growing stages they need much more protein than greens. Greens basically just provide hydration, so being sure that they are hydrated as mentioned above will alleviate any problems. As he gets older he will start eating the greens more & more. Fruits should only be served as a periodic treat.

One thing that you could try, is feed Greens first in the morning an hour or 2 after lights on, then feed the live prey in the afternoon & evening. This will often help get them started. Do not feed anything a less than a minimum of an hour prior to lights out to give digestion a chance to get started.

Good Luck - He's a Cutie!

shelby galloway

Hatchling Dragon
thank you i mist him everyday just about and i soak him once a week twice if he is shedding lol. I just took him out of his tank and he was running around like crazy lol but thank you he is a cutie

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi there, Im a firm believer in this...It starts with the breeder. Honestly with no exceptions. Every dragon produced here is eating greens within there first couple meals. This is where the impression of what is considered food starts. This is also the time if you want to raise them on pellets to start. Your kid is still young and although he is not eating them at the moment you may have to find his niche.

You could try putting a few meal worms on top the salad to entice them.
Dark greens, light colored greens
Can try with or without topping (carrot, red bell pepper or maybe a little strawberry).
Try chopping the greens small or try just tearing a piece (it can be fairly large, they will chew off what they need) and feeding it to him.
Can try wiggling a piece in front of him.

Just a few suggestions ;)
Good luck, your kid looks like he is going to be a stunner.

shelby galloway

Hatchling Dragon
thank you i have tried collared greens kiwi cantaloup honeydew watermelon baby food i hear but i have to him to lick that off a spoon but not out of a bowl but i will try the wiggling thing

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
My little guy is only a few weeks old and the only time he eats veggies is on accident. Seriously! :D I've gotten into the habit of throwing his crickets in his food dish with greens and sometimes he mistakenly picks up some greens with a cricket. He's getting wise to me now, though, and being more careful when he snatches one up.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree whole heartedly with Gillies, my whole clutch was eating greens & pellets right from the start. Many breeders are just too lazy to do the Greens because they know that they can survive quite well to start with without them.

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
You are not alone with that Shelby...my Baby is 6 months old and still will not eat greens. I'm not too worried about it yet because as everyone else has said, it is normal for younger beardies to not take well to greens, unless however the breeder started them off on them. I feed the crickets the greens so at least my Baby is getting the hydration and nutrition that way. It's better than nothing!

shelby galloway

Hatchling Dragon
yeah i did what you guys said and gave him greens in the morning and waitied till i got off work and gave him crickets and he acted like he was starving lol i felt so bad!!!

Latest posts