• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is it common to not eat out of a bowl?

Mysticfly

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am not sure if this should be posted here or in the diet threads, but here goes. Cajun is doing wonderful getting used to his new home. He is eating his small mustard green/apple mix(misted) we made for him and his small dubia 2 to 3 times a day. He has tried mini meal worms twice this week and a few tiny pheonix worms. I am asking if it is common for a juvenile bd to eat veggies and fruits from hand instead of his bowl? He does not seem to like his bowl for some reason. Its almost like he rathers my hand than from his bowl. Could it be because the color of the bowl is green? He is very active when it comes to his small dubia. We place a few on the cool side of his cage and he will zip over to get them. When it comes to his veggies/fruits we do it by hand because he wont eat from the bowl. Should I try a different bowl that doesn't blend his food to the color of his bowl?

Here is two pictures I just took of him basking. His temp is 109.2f.
Cajun8.jpgCajun7.jpg

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Cute little critter :D

I would try a different bowl, Hand feeding is fine, but I have found that it should be more of a novelty & only done periodically. You have described almost exactly, a dragon spoiled & now will only eat if handfed.

Mysticfly

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok thanks. We will swap out his bowl and try to get him to eat out of it. The only reason we was hand feeding because he disliked the bowl and was not attempting his veggies/fruits. lol I am amazed on how layed back bds are. I can see myself getting attached to not just one and as my husband sees me typing this. He is now giving me that smile/grin look with a head shake. hehehe.:confused:

Jaker89

Hatchling Dragon
My beardie will eat anything from a bowl except his greens. I hand feed her greens every other day as much as she will eat. She eats her other foods all from a bowl without a fuss but turns her nose up at any greens in a bowl. I've tried 3 different bowls and even tried just setting them on the floor of her tank. She will pick past then if i put them with the rest of her food.

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Mine eats off of a teacup saucer. Two of them. One orange 'carnival' glass and the other's a white, green, and red saucer. Works great with Allie. She doesn't like bowls that much either. I tried bowls and she just couldn't get to her salad 'fast enough'. :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Large jar lids work very well for young BDs as feeding dishes. they are low, allowing the BD to see their food without having to climb & gives them easy access to their food. Is what I use for all my youngsters.

Jaker89

Hatchling Dragon
Mine is 20+ inches long and only a year and 3 months old. Lol. She eats like a pig, but has to be hand feed greens. I don't really mind. Lol

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
I am not sure if this should be posted here or in the diet threads, but here goes. Cajun is doing wonderful getting used to his new home. He is eating his small mustard green/apple mix(misted) we made for him and his small dubia 2 to 3 times a day. He has tried mini meal worms twice this week and a few tiny pheonix worms. I am asking if it is common for a juvenile bd to eat veggies and fruits from hand instead of his bowl? He does not seem to like his bowl for some reason. Its almost like he rathers my hand than from his bowl. Could it be because the color of the bowl is green? He is very active when it comes to his small dubia. We place a few on the cool side of his cage and he will zip over to get them. When it comes to his veggies/fruits we do it by hand because he wont eat from the bowl. Should I try a different bowl that doesn't blend his food to the color of his bowl?

Here is two pictures I just took of him basking. His temp is 109.2f.
View attachment 3983View attachment 3984
i have an idea...I have two bearded dragons one of them loves her greens and her name is Stacey....My other girl named Autunm and she will not eat her greens...but I just got her to by putting meal worms in her greens and since that she beens eating her greens a lot more still not as much as i like her to but making progress haha so see if you put mealworms in the greens maybe that will do the trick?

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I wish my beardie would eat his greens! He won't touch them! I just have a quick question about putting the meal worms in the veggies...I was told by some people that meal worms are bad for younger beardies and shouldn't be used if possible...but I have also heard they can be used occasionally....what is the "true" answer here and do you all think it would be a good idea for me to try to put meal worms in his greens to see if he'll try to eat his greens? I've tried bearded dragon pellets as well and he won't eat those either. So, I have just been gut loading the crickets with veggies and pellets which is better than nothing, but nothing like the real thing. Any suggestions?

Jesse omg it's me

Juvenile Dragon
I have never heard that...Stacey owner before me has always feed her that and she is as healthy a could be and Autunm just got put on meal worms and is also as healthy as could be...i put enough in her salad to keep her interested enough to eat because they move around and she loves them...when someone told you they were bad why did they say they were bad?

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Oh okay that's good to know! They told me that the beardie's have a hard time digesting the meal worms.....wasn't quite sure if that was true or not(I've heard a lot of different opinions)

Latest posts