• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is he trying to hurt him?

DragonsVS

Bearded Dragon Egg
I brought home a baby beardie yesterday and am housing him with a beardie who is about a week or 2 older. Yesterday they had no problems at all. I separated them for feeding and the older one Sakari waved and in the bath head butted Virgil (the new kid). I have spent most of my day in my bedroom and they seem pretty chill. Every once in a while they wave at each other. Every now and then when they wave Sakari will wave then Virgil or vis versa and then Sakari will just jump over to where Virgil is and sit on top of him/her. (we think they are both girls hard to tell though). If Virgil gets scared he will run and Sakari will run after him not really making any contact after this point. I have them in a 40g breeder tank and Sakari is about 7-71/2 inches and Virgil is 5-6 inches long and Sakari is 12 grams and Virgil is I think 8. I don't know if Sakari is trying to hurt Virgil or just messing with him. I don't think they are playing...I dont think they know how to 'play'. but 70% They are sitting within 3-5 inches of one another just sitting, snoozing or soaking up so artificial rays. Is Sakari trying to hurt him. They have not head bobbed or puffed their beards just arm waving. Virgil did flatten out and raise himself on the legs on his right side and was kinda angled in the air this was when i was by the cage and Sakari had just finished chasing him. I know it is not acceptable to some people to house 2 together but I do plan on separating them but don't have the money for the new cage yet. I have all the other supplies just not the tank.
Virgil

Tank set up

Sakari

I have had beardies in the past but only 1.

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, Yes they need separated ASAP. Its just a matter of time before something goes wrong for one of them. Temporary you could take a piece of card board, plexiglass, the plastic stuff political signs are made of, etc to separate the enclosure in half.

DragonsVS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks guys. I will be getting a divider most likely tomorrow. I was a bit worried about putting them together in the first place but I didn't think about the behavior that may occur. Kind of a spur of the moment ideas to put them together.

smokejunky

Juvenile Dragon
heres a pic of what we did but since u have a 40 breeder u might not need the little wood stand we had to make since ours is a 55.
IMG_1178_zpsca86d03e.jpg

IMG_1177_zps4672055e.jpg

hope this helps some

DragonsVS

Bearded Dragon Egg
Wow, thats a nice set up. Thanks for the idea. What I am thinking about is putting Virgil in an old ten gallon tank that my dad might let me use.

Bushmaster11B

Juvenile Dragon
Watch the center screen on the bottom. I see some gaps that nee to be filled. Thes animals can compress and fir through small spaces FYI. And they are persistent if they think they can get somewhere else. other than that, It will do for a while until they grow up in 1-2 months.

DragonsVS

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am picking up a 50 gallon tank today for either Sakari or Virgil not sure who gets the cage yet lol. I am thinking Sakari because Virgil just started eating a good amount and I don't want to stress him out and make him stop eating.

Latest posts