• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is a big enclosure ok for a baby dragon

Bruins14

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
My son and I are building a 4X2X2 (crossfire enclosure). We are going to put the lights check out the temps, and get everything right. Is it ok to put a small dragon in this enclosure?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have to agree with Tom. It would be too overwhelming for a baby. You may consider dividing the viv in half as a temp solution if you need to use it.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah you will deffinately want to divide the tank up for the time being. Then once the baby gets some size/age on him then you can give him the full tank (ie take out the divider)

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Why is this? I am just wondering why you would not give them full roam of the cage? I know when feeding it may make it harder for them to catch food but other than that why in a smaller viv?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
with baby reptiles too much room causes a lot of stress. They are small fragile new to the world and scared of most everything. now think by size comparrison ok. That lizard is 5-8 inches right. The tank is 48 inches so he is only about 5% of that tank so that tank is HUGE to him. it would be the same as if you put a infant in a room the size of a football field and left him there. At first itd be fun then he would be scared out of his mind due to the shere size of the area he was in.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Right. It is just like crating a puppy. If you give the puppy full roam of your house, it is too much for him to take in. If he is crated while you are away, he feels more cozy and at home. It is a more manageable area to him to deal with.

So, a large viv to a newborn beardie would be the same as the puppy. Too much room and too much to take in. Thus causing stress.

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Ok so the viv's that I built that are 36 x 18 base should be fine? That is the viv I plan on keeping them in. There are also hides in the tank. O hope it is ok cause that is where sunny my now 4 month old has been since mid november. And I a building one now for a 3rd dragon. My second dragon is 8 months old.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can you elaborate 'plan to keep THEM in'? Do you plan to house your beardies together?

Bruins14

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
We plan to keep 1 dragon, we have some melaime left. We were planing a space about 24x13x13.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardies are not social creatures. Even at a young age, they can attack and harm another. If you house an older beardie with a baby, it could have horrible consequences. Just some food for thought.

Here's an article about it
Housing Multiple Bearded Dragons Together

weewane

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
Can you elaborate 'plan to keep THEM in'? Do you plan to house your beardies together?

I am sorry I did not elaborate on that. No absolutely not gonna house more then one in a viv. I have built 2 viv's and and building my 3rd viv now. I have sonny in one, dora in the other and the 3rd dragon will go in the 3rd viv once done and I get her. I thought about what I typed after I typed it and was away from the cpu and figured someone might misunderstand me but glad you pointed that out as I hear people all the time talk about having more then one in a cage and how the one was lonely LoL. I have done far to much research on bearded dragons in the last few months to do that. Seems like I check this site and a few others multiple times a day for new info and new posts hehe call me a nerd if ya want. When I get into something I jump in with both feet.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Whew! Glad to hear it, Weewane. :)

I hope Bruins14 does the same.

Latest posts