• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Irwin's new Vivarium

cold blooded

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Some think I’m crazy, but I tore down a 10 year old well established planted tank for my new beardie. Here is a pic of the tank as it was setup before. It is an All Glass 120 gallon tank that is 4’x2’x2’

541.jpg

more info here: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2006/show130.html

And here it is after a transformation to the dessert!

index.php

Branch is sandblasted grapevine from a company called “Castles for Reptiles” Met the owner at the Sacramento Reptile show. He had all kinds of stuff in all shapes and sizes and very reasonably priced.

The Rocks are from a local landscape supply company. The name of the rocks are “Dessert Cloud.” They were only 18 cents a pound. For $20 I took home more than enough to choose from. Scrubbed them down and soaked in a mild bleach solution to sterilize.

Plants are from a local store called “Michaels.” They sell all kinds of stuff for fake flower arrangements. Lot’s to choose from. Plants where rinsed in hot water and soaked in a mild bleach solution as well just to be safe.

For substrate I decided to go with “sunset gold” decomposed granite from the landscape supplier. I really like the DG because it comes in different colors and also packs down and holds it's for a little batter than sand- although it can be bit dusty until it settles down. The smallest they had was 1/4“ minus (meaning 1/4 size pieces and smaller) so I hand sifted out the larger pieces so what’s left is a very fine grained material. A reptile pooper scooper worked out perfect for this task. Once the DG was prepped it was placed in the oven in batches and baked at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. This was mostly to sterilize, but also removed any moisture that was still in the product. Extra material was prepped and stored for future use.

Attachments

• Irwin's Home.JPG
    Irwin's Home.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 2,579

cold blooded

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Here are some more pics of the setup..

index.php
index.php

Attachments

• log.JPG
    log.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 2,521
  • Munchin his greensJPG.JPG
    Munchin his greensJPG.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,538

cold blooded

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah all I had was the tank and stand pretty much and I walked out of there with almost everything I needed...and for killer prices. It was great.

BTW here is the lighting I am using.

index.php

index.php

It is a recycled Tek light made by Sunlight Supply from when it was a fish tank. It is made to hang from the ceiling by cables over the tank, but not wanting anything permanent I made a hanging system out of electrical conduit which I attached to the cabinet base. The cables are adjustable so that I can fine tune the distance from bulb to basking spot. The greatest part is that noting sits on top of the tank so that there free access to get into the vivarium.

The Tek light uses the more powerful T5HO bulbs (up to 4 of them). I am glad to see the herp industry catching up finally and offering bulbs for this fixture. Currently I'm using just 3 bulbs, two Zoo med reptisun 10.0 and one Giesemann midday bulb for aesthetics. The great thing about the T5HO bulbs are they they are so much more efficient than the standard T8. You save money on electric, but it also means that they will throw out more UVB/UVA and visible light compared to other bulbs. This allows for greater distances between the bulb and the animal. For example Zoo Med recommends a distance or 18 to 36 inches from the bulb for proper UVB exposure. This allows the installation of the lights to be outside the enclosure and away from the animal (where they should be IMO)

For heat I have a 60 watt GE outdoor halogen in the basking spot and a 150Watt CHE on the cool side. I can't say enough about these GE bulbs! Awesome amount of heat and light for the amount of wattage they consume. It maintains a 105 degree basking spot about 14 inches from the basking spot.

Controlling all the lighting/ heating is a Herptat 2
index.php

More info here:
http://spyderrobotics.com/products/herpstat12.html

Basically it does just about everything. I'm currently using one outlet for the lighting and the other for the CHE. One cool feature I like is sunrise/ sunset. Rather than the lights just blasting on full blast in the morning or shutting off abruptly at night I set it to gradually come on and off over a couple hours. The CHE is hooked to the thermostat function of the controller and is set to maintain the cool side at 82 degrees during the day and drop the temp to 72 at night.

Attachments

• lighting close up.JPG
    lighting close up.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 2,519
  • Lighting setup.JPG
    Lighting setup.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,520
  • Herpstat 2JPG.JPG
    Herpstat 2JPG.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 369

Latest posts