• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Introduction and question

Kribensis28

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everybody!
I own a lot of amphibians, fish, and invertebrates, and have a few reptiles, and I love them all a ton! I currently have one beardie. She technically belongs to my younger brother, but I care for her, handle her, feed her, and do everything for her. We got her as a hatchling and have had her for about 4 years now. She's a bit underweight (VERY picky eater), but all around healthy. Does anyone have any advice on how to get her to eat more?

I give her a salad every day with some gut loaded insects. I dust her food twice a week with Repashy Calcium Plus. She gets a variety of leafy greens, fruits, and vegetables in her salad including Swiss chard, arugula, zucchini, squash, green beans, sweet potato, green & purple romaine, collard greens, celery, bell pepper, mustard greens, beet greens, dandelion leaves, raspberry leaves, mulberry leaves, turnip greens, blueberries occasionally, and sometimes strawberries or raspberries as a treat.

She gets varied feeders, all gut loaded with the same foods I feed her. Crickets, superworms, mealworms, waxworms, hornworms, and dubia roaches are what she normally gets. We can't always get feeders other than crickets and superworms, so those are her main two, but we give her the others whenever we can get them.

She eats insects like crazy, but isn't a huge fan of plant matter. I can't feed her only insects, so how do I get her to eat her veggies? She's gotten a bit better in the past months, but still isn't great.

Her basking temp is 105F and she has a Reptisun T5 HO 24 inch UVB light. She has tile on her floor and a branch for basking. She has constant access to clean water as well. I take her out to explore the room for about an hour daily in winter, and take her outside in summer. I let her run around and always keep an eye on her while she's out. I also handle her for about 20 minutes every day, and she sometimes lays with me on the couch.

Her care is good (as far as I know), so I'm wondering why she's so picky.

Thank you!

BeardedDragonDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Welcome.

As for your question, not 100% sure.
I would say to only give her veggies for a while.
I started feeding mine veggies then introduced insects, so this would be new to me.
Hope you can find your answer.

Thanks,
BDD

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hello everybody!
I own a lot of amphibians, fish, and invertebrates, and have a few reptiles, and I love them all a ton! I currently have one beardie. She technically belongs to my younger brother, but I care for her, handle her, feed her, and do everything for her. We got her as a hatchling and have had her for about 4 years now. She's a bit underweight (VERY picky eater), but all around healthy. Does anyone have any advice on how to get her to eat more?

I give her a salad every day with some gut loaded insects. I dust her food twice a week with Repashy Calcium Plus. She gets a variety of leafy greens, fruits, and vegetables in her salad including Swiss chard, arugula, zucchini, squash, green beans, sweet potato, green & purple romaine, collard greens, celery, bell pepper, mustard greens, beet greens, dandelion leaves, raspberry leaves, mulberry leaves, turnip greens, blueberries occasionally, and sometimes strawberries or raspberries as a treat.

She gets varied feeders, all gut loaded with the same foods I feed her. Crickets, superworms, mealworms, waxworms, hornworms, and dubia roaches are what she normally gets. We can't always get feeders other than crickets and superworms, so those are her main two, but we give her the others whenever we can get them.

She eats insects like crazy, but isn't a huge fan of plant matter. I can't feed her only insects, so how do I get her to eat her veggies? She's gotten a bit better in the past months, but still isn't great.

Her basking temp is 105F and she has a Reptisun T5 HO 24 inch UVB light. She has tile on her floor and a branch for basking. She has constant access to clean water as well. I take her out to explore the room for about an hour daily in winter, and take her outside in summer. I let her run around and always keep an eye on her while she's out. I also handle her for about 20 minutes every day, and she sometimes lays with me on the couch.

Her care is good (as far as I know), so I'm wondering why she's so picky.

Thank you!
If u want to fatten her up wax worms horn worms nd ur roaches should help, im finding it hard to get my girl to eat veg aswell , have you tried useing
Veggie burger ? If she wont eat it in disc or cube for maybe you can get a gummy worm mold? Its not the best advice i know, i can only get my girl to eat veg by tricking her, in the general bearded dragon discussion user bandit made a post like yours aswell I commented a long post on there, nothing really I haven’t said here , sorry we couldn’t help , :/

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey, it may be worth getting your beardie checked at the vets for parasites. I’m not a beardie pro but I presume parasites can prevent beardies gaining weight. If you’ve ruled everything else out and you feel she is eating enough but not gaining weight, ruling this out wouldn’t do any harm!x

Kribensis28

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, it may be worth getting your beardie checked at the vets for parasites. I’m not a beardie pro but I presume parasites can prevent beardies gaining weight. If you’ve ruled everything else out and you feel she is eating enough but not gaining weight, ruling this out wouldn’t do any harm!x
Thanks! I've considered getting her checked for parasites, but I just don't think she's eating enough. She loves bugs, but barely touches anything else, so I think she's just skinny.

Dr. D

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks! I've considered getting her checked for parasites, but I just don't think she's eating enough. She loves bugs, but barely touches anything else, so I think she's just skinny.
Post a picture so we can what she looks like.