• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Introducing other animals to beardies

Kayla

Hatchling Dragon
In the past I have introduced my dragon to a few of my other household pets.

Haze loves teasing the cats and running around everywhere because she knows that I won't let them near her, she runs right infront of their noses and has a blast scaring them haha
I've also introduced her to my Russian dwarf hamster, which was probably the funniest one of all because the hamster would run right up to her and sniff her like crazy, completely fearless! But haze didn't seem to like him very much, and seemed a little bit nervous around him which is weird considering she doesn't mind a fully grown cat next to her but a tiny hamster is a nono haha
Now, my question is, could I introduce her to my young corn snake?
They've both shown a friendly interest in eachother but I'm not sure if I could get them both out at the same time?
I just don't know how social snakes are but he seems to love looking at her and when I have him out haze will watch him and come over to the glass
I wouldn't let them get too close of course but I would like to show them to eachother face to face if it would be safe
I don't know if this sounds like a completely crazy idea but yeah I'm just curious :)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would be very cautious when mixing animals like this. If you can't easily and fully control both of them simultaneously you might end up with a problem, and that would be disastrous.
I caution others who are considering it against this as well. It's not usually a very good idea - so do so at your own risk and accept that any two animals may not like each other at all and you may have a very bad or sad situation on your hands.

Kayla

Hatchling Dragon
When I had her out with the hamster and the cat there was two of us so one could be sitting next to the cat so we could grab it if he did anything he shouldn't, and one on the other side watching haze making sure she didn't go too close. I've heard about a few people showing their beardies to cats and dogs but never snakes so I was curious!
By the way, while I'm here could I ask how warm do you think it should be before I can take my beardie out in the garden? I want to take her out when it warms up but I'm worried it will still be too cold, I've also been avoiding bathing her incase she gets a chill as well xx

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
These animals won't get enlightenment from meeting each other it's solely for your own entertainment, it might even induce fear or stress to each animal.

You could get either one killed or injured in a matter of seconds. These animals don't have reasoning skills and would be acting on pure instinct.

Value the interaction between you and your dragon, they won't care if they 'meet' anyone else.

Kayla

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks. Obviously I don't want anyone to get hurt as they all mean a lot to me, even the hamster!
Was just wondering if they were curious about eachother but then theirs curiosity and mmmm you look yummy I want to eat you
So I shan't risk it because a snake could strike so fast and then it would be bye bye haze

TarynLee

Hatchling Dragon
Mine gets along with my dogs and cats but I always monitor them closely as accidents can happen even if no one is being malicious

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I don't know about introducing it to the snake. Dexter hangs out with us and the cats with no problem but we are always watching them to make sure they keep a safe distance. The only cat that I trust with her is my oldest, she's 15 years old. She's front declawed, but I still watch them when they are together, if either of them are getting stressed I take Dexter away.

Kayla

Hatchling Dragon
Yeah I only trust my most timid/ shy cat because he's so cautious it's so funny when he wants to poke her because he moves his paw so slowly, all I've got to so is say no and he jumps 2 ft back haha
He won't even bring his claws out its so adorable
Yeah I just didn't think snakes were very social anyway let alone with other animals, but they both seem interested i eachother, I've decided I'm not going to even try getting them out together no matter how many people I have with me or how safe I think they'll be because I can just imagine him striking at her in my head and that would break my heart

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
Yeah I only trust my most timid/ shy cat because he's so cautious it's so funny when he wants to poke her because he moves his paw so slowly, all I've got to so is say no and he jumps 2 ft back haha
He won't even bring his claws out its so adorable
Yeah I just didn't think snakes were very social anyway let alone with other animals, but they both seem interested i eachother, I've decided I'm not going to even try getting them out together no matter how many people I have with me or how safe I think they'll be because I can just imagine him striking at her in my head and that would break my heart

That's a solid judgement call. I hate to be the one to break it to you :) but bearded dragon brains do not possess the part that provides a sense of empathy. They are not passionate or cuddly animals like cats or dogs. Emotions like companionship and loneliness are alien to them. I would imagine snakes are no different.

Keegirl96

Hatchling Dragon
I guess im overly cautious (if there is such a thing) since I never let any of my animals interract with eachother. The only one I would even remotely trust is Sydney but thats because she is very tame and hasnt shown one ounce of aggression since Ive had her, still too early to tell with my plated lizard but with Ruger (my male beardie) he's super aggressive (if you want to call it that) with anything that moves besides mom. He's gone full rambo a couple times and charged, black beard and all, other reptiles (once when I had Sydneys cage on the ground and him on the couch and another just recently with Pharaoh since his cage is still on the ground)...he doesnt stop either so now he's very closely supervised when he's in the livingroom until I can find a table big enough for Pharaohs cage

Abyss

Hatchling Dragon
Would be nice to actually see a male in action like that, I'm always checking you tube watching vids on noddy males.., its so cute they are like little metal heads head banging lol.

My dragon is handicapped and super tame, it would be cool to be around an active bossy male :) post a vid sometime of him!

Portmanmike

Juvenile Dragon
Mine loves my dogView attachment 7662
20140315_171411.jpg
20140315_171411.jpg

Keegirl96

Hatchling Dragon
Would be nice to actually see a male in action like that, I'm always checking you tube watching vids on noddy males.., its so cute they are like little metal heads head banging lol.

My dragon is handicapped and super tame, it would be cool to be around an active bossy male :) post a vid sometime of him!

I can post a video of him all black beard, puffed up and head bobbing but not of him attacking another lizards cage (I dont want him to get hurt since he actually will ram the other cage multiple times and at high speeds) like I said, he is closely supervised by me, the only time he can run around at the moment is when he is on my bed and away from everyone else

he really is a little **** lol

Latest posts