• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Introducing Jethro!

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Doh, Im being silly...but how do i get the pics on here!!?? ???

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
This Is Jethro (I hope!!)
16092009396.jpg
16092009393.jpg

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Re: Introducing Jethro!...Yes!!!

Ok..I got 2 pics on, will get better pics soon! We had him out yesterday, thought he'd like to look around his new house. Considering he had MBD his back legs have improved quite a bit, movement in both legs and feet. He held himself upright and had his tail curled up...which i believe is a good sign (alert?) After stuffing his face with crickets/mealworms sunday evening and monday, he hasn't eaten a great deal since, but is mostly bright and interested in his surroundings. I suspect he is an older dragon (being a rescue I have no idea of age). I trimmed his nails as they were overgrown and he didn't seem to mind at all. The blind eye seems to have an old healed injury above it..I have a feeling it was a burn. Judging by the scar it must have been bad. The eye looks bright, but the pupil doesn't dilate and to see anything he tilts his head round to the good eye. I get angry just looking at the scars.....all so needless. I realalise I may not have him for that long, but I will do my best to give him the best remaining life possible.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ah... he is just too sweet looking, Pinky !
I think you two will have a long wonderful life together... Don't be upset if Jethro doesn't eat a whole lot in the next several days. This is call relocation stress, and until he is settled in and comfortable with you and his new environment, he might fast. Just make sure to bath him every other day at least for 15 minutes, and to offer his greens as well as any feeder insects for 2 meals for the duration of 15 minutes each... He'll catch on ;)
Well Done !
Janie.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What a handsome boy he is. I think it is wonderful that you are giving Jethro a second chance at life!

BTW...I would stop the mealworms. They really don't have any nutritional value for beardies and their outer shell makes it difficult to digest.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
wow he is very healthy looking especially for a MBD rescue top notch on your part :thumbsup: ;D

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
What a handsome boy he is. I think it is wonderful that you are giving Jethro a second chance at life!

BTW...I would stop the mealworms. They really don't have any nutritional value for beardies and their outer shell makes it difficult to digest.
Thank you for your kind words! Lol, I'm only to give any animal a second chance of a happy life, all my many pets are rescues (even my hubby was mistreated before I got him!!). However, I am confused as the rescue centre told me to feed him mealworms as he couldn't catch anything else...however I am well aware that all in all Mealworms aren't much use so I 'de-hoppy' legged some crickets and popped them in his viv...he quickly sussed them out and ate them. In the UK we seem limited with livefood, its mostly crickets, meal/morio worms, waxworms and locusts, nothing else! Are locusts ok? He has , today, eaten (again with gusto) but still shows no interest in veggies. I place a fresh bowl of shredded assorted veg in his viv each day anyway, and I was bathing him every other day, but I will do that daily from now on. Sorry to bug you with questions, but I want to do the best for him...I love this beardy already, and the fact that he's had such a rotten time before I got him just makes me more determined to give him everything he needs.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Huh, I'm a bit surprised that the rescue center recommended mealworms. Locusts are great for beardies. You can also feed them phoenix worms and roaches. Not sure if you have access to either of those proteins.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I can help you out with feeders... Here roaches ;) best darned feeder you raise yourself.. best ratio protein/fat too ! And all your insectivores will love those !
http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=94&products_id=1073
There you are !
For an adult dragon, around 200 a month should be more than enough. ;)
Just get yourself a storage bin, some egg crates and water crystals.. Also you will need an under tank heater to keep these fellows warm enough to breed... That means free food ;)
Janie.
If you need details... just ask ... I've helped several members world wide with roaches ;)
:D

Erskinelake

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Love him..love his name (my Golden is named Jethro)!!

He's lucky to have found someone that will give him what he deserves in his later years. Looking forward to hearing how he's doing.

Pinky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
;D Thanks again!! I have emailed rescue centre this morning re the mealworms...I did think that was wrong, however Im not a lizard expert (only a frog expert!!!) This morning after a soak in the sink, he ate around 30 medium crickets!!!! He does have a little trouble turning quick enough to catch them, but if I drop them infront of his good eye, he gets them ok!!! I have to say, hearing a cricket being crunched give me the shivers...YUKKY!!!! Ill look into rearing roaches (eek!!) free anything has to be good!!!

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol...You'll get used to the cricket crunch. My hubby and I are pretty warped. We used to chuckle when Bernie was chewing his crickets. Crunch...crunch...crunch...

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Pinky said:
;D Thanks again!! I have emailed rescue centre this morning re the mealworms...I did think that was wrong, however Im not a lizard expert (only a frog expert!!!) This morning after a soak in the sink, he ate around 30 medium crickets!!!! He does have a little trouble turning quick enough to catch them, but if I drop them infront of his good eye, he gets them ok!!! I have to say, hearing a cricket being crunched give me the shivers...YUKKY!!!! Ill look into rearing roaches (eek!!) free anything has to be good!!!

dubia and discoids look much less roachy than most. and they are fairly slow in comparrison to a cricket.

LeslieA

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee that's too funny, when Spike crunches his we laugh. I know we're sick....hahahaha