• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Introducing female to male

conwaymark5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi guys,

I have introduced a female to my male. This was done within the last few hours. The female is familiar with being in a viv with a male and appears happy enough. She is eating well and pooping well also!!! The male on the other hand is still fairly black and at times gets a little aggressive (which I think is because he wants to mate). The chap who I got her off (who from previous experience is fairly knowledgeable about most reps) said he may get slightly aggressive but this will die off. I currently have no plans to breed but this might change in the future. Does anyone have any tips about the transition and how this can be eased for both bd's.

thanks

Mark

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If they are together they will breed weather you want them to or not. Its what they do. The males agression may and I use that word carfully may taper off, but not likley. A male can breed a female to death. And I dont use that word loosley DEATH it can happen. I dont mean to sound like a know it all or come off rudley, I am just making a point.
On a lighter note welcome aboard,
I would highly reccomend splitting them up so they cant see each other and your male will calm right down.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes you should never house them together unless for the purpose of breeding and then seperate them immediately upon the completion of the act of breeding. housing a male and a female together is purely criminal and dangerous to your animals. it is not fair to either animal as they will breed and fight and breed until one or both is seriously injured and possibly dead.

conwaymark5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi guys,

many thanks for this. The female has been housed with another male for some time (at least a year and a half) and was very happy. I have spoken to the chap I have bought the female from and will be rejoining her to her original companion.

In regards to my male (Bruce) he has calmed down a lot but is still slightly black so I think it only fair to separate them as the last thing I want is for either to become stressed or hurt.

Mark

dave

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i have my female and my male together and thay seem ok for now but will get another tank for if thay dont get along but i know murph is a boy shela i think is a girl but im not shore hopfully thay will be ok tho as thay seem to like it better when there together i take one out and the other will just look waiting for them to come back then thay are ok and most of the time there sat next to each other

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ill dredge up some photos i have of the outcome of housing multiple dragons together. The only pairing that works out is 2 females. Trust me you cant and dont watch them like a hawk all day long. If its 2 males they will fight and become territorial, 1 will not grow as much as the other due to heightened stress, and inevitably 1 will become very hurt/maimed/or even dead. With a male/female pairing no matter what you will end up with eggs, they will breed. Again you can not watch them all the time. It will happen. And more than likely he will breed her repeatedly. What can occur from this is egg binding which is fatal in dragons unless certain surgical procedures occur that are basically the same as a histerectimy in humans. And even then it is still possible for her to die. It is a horrible idea and I consider it to be animal cruelty. If you can not give your animals the proper care and housing than you should not have them.

conwaymark5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ill dredge up some photos i have of the outcome of housing multiple dragons together. The only pairing that works out is 2 females. Trust me you cant and dont watch them like a hawk all day long. If its 2 males they will fight and become territorial, 1 will not grow as much as the other due to heightened stress, and inevitably 1 will become very hurt/maimed/or even dead. With a male/female pairing no matter what you will end up with eggs, they will breed. Again you can not watch them all the time. It will happen. And more than likely he will breed her repeatedly. What can occur from this is egg binding which is fatal in dragons unless certain surgical procedures occur that are basically the same as a histerectimy in humans. And even then it is still possible for her to die. It is a horrible idea and I consider it to be animal cruelty. If you can not give your animals the proper care and housing than you should not have them.

Many thanks for the response,

I have removed the female from the viv and set her up away from the other male. I appreciate the honesty but as I have already stated the female had previously been habituating with a male for some time without any issues and one would presume that if harm was to occur it would do so quicker than a year and a half. However, I accept the comments made about the general risks. In terms of not being able to give animals the proper care and housing I feel this is a broad statement to be making. I am rather new to beardies (as were you once) and I take considerable pride in ensuring I provide the best possible care for my beardies. Yes, sometimes I get it wrong, however, that does not equate to being unable to care nor house properly, just that I am learning.

I don't want to sound ungrateful for the help or advice because it is invaluable, so thank you!!!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
First by saying animal i was speaking specifically to the animals covered in this topic which i was under the impression would be rather obvious. and it is not true that the harm occurs immediately. Many times people have had their animals together for years and not seen the suttle signs of intimidation and domination that beardies show. Many times they think it appears cute or that they are playing or they like laying on each other when actually this is a sign of one beardie dominating the other. No matter what a male/female pairing will not work. If you dont believe me that is fine or if you think it is a general statement that is also fine. But think of it this way. If you have 2 dogs 1 male 1 female neither fixed living in a small backyard together. They probably wont mate for the first year or so but as soon as the female hits heat she will be pregnant. Same with beardies. No matter what it will happen. But do what you think is right. If you think i was attacking you i apologize but what i was doing was trying to explain to you that no matter what it will happen even if it hasnt yet.

conwaymark5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
No apology is necessary, I like you am passionate about my beardies and I get a bit defensive!!! I have seperated them now and they are both happier for it (although they enjoyed a feast of roaches and wax-worms together earlier). I am sure you are right about the cohabituating, and because of this I have changed the set-up!!!

Again thanks for the help.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
yeah and i do apologize i have the tendency to come off as rude. In the military you are slightly more blunt with the way you converse. i am still trying to overcome that lol.

conwaymark5

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
lol, its no problem, thanks again for the help (oh and I think your website is great, very informative).

mark

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
As with email, translations can get lost in forum posts.

Brian, we know that you are a softy at heart. ;)

Also, I want to back up housing beardies together. It is a sad truth that these guys do best separated. They are social creatures, but with their humans and not other beardies. Yes, there are success stories, but there are more horror stories. It is recommended to have their separate vivs in different rooms or on top each other so that they do not stare each other down every day.

Latest posts