• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

introducing bearded dragons to one another

Brittany

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Hey guys, I was wondering, does anyone know what the best way to introduce beardies to one another? I have a 1 year old and a 2 year old that I'm trying to get into one tank (for tank space's sake) and a very little baby lizard. I have 2 tanks; 1 a 50 gallon 36 inch long tank, and 1 a 20 gallon. I figure it's better to have 2 of the bigger dragons in the bigger one, and the baby in the 20 for them to be happy. What do you guys think?
photo.JPG

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Theres an excellent article on Beardie co-habitation on another site, heres the link. Please read it for your beardies sake

http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154908

Pages 1 and 4 have excellent very graphic pics of the consequences

To the site admin......if youd like it posted here, let me know i can arrange with the OP of the thread, I know him

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey, P. Thanks for the link, this should definitely put things into perspective 4 people.

drgnfly2265

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1 beardie to 1 tank. Unless it's a very large tank that you are able to turn into 2 sections where they won't be able to have any contact with the other/see them and still be able to give them plenty of room and lighting. The 50 gal. will be room enough for one but that's it and the baby will quickly outgrow the 20 gal.

That is a great link P. One of my beardies is missing half her tail from being with other beardies when the previous owner had her.

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Theres an excellent article on Beardie co-habitation on another site, heres the link. Please read it for your beardies sake

http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154908

Pages 1 and 4 have excellent very graphic pics of the consequences

To the site admin......if youd like it posted here, let me know i can arrange with the OP of the thread, I know him

hi p, thankyou so much for that link, i found that very useful!

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
we have 3 beardies stacked on top of each other (the tanks lol) do u think that has anythink to do with 2 of ours not eating, maybe they can sense/smell one another, was thinking about having them in seperate rooms?

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Glad the link helped you guys :p

we have 3 beardies stacked on top of each other (the tanks lol) do u think that has anythink to do with 2 of ours not eating, maybe they can sense/smell one another, was thinking about having them in seperate rooms?

It may be an issue. All dragons are different, most will be happy as long as they dont "see" the others in their vivs, but then as with everything in life there are the exceptions to the rule.....I have heard of people who have to keep theirs in seperate rooms due to them acting out in various ways from not eating to constant blackbearding and arm waving even if they just "sense" each other.

The only sure way to tell its to move them and see if there is any improvement. You are sure there arent any other issues that will cause them not to eat

kaykayy

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
thanks P, we are going to move them, have replied to ur comment on my post, will keep u updated on there ... i cnt think of any other reason other than we have been getting them out together since we had them n then we introduced rexi (smallest 1) to them a few weeks ago, but after reading ur above link....that will no longer be the case, what an eye opener that was !!

Latest posts