• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Interested In Breeding Feeders

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
Since i acquired my beardie 3 months ago i've been buying live food every week and i'm finding it okay to manage at the moment but its quite expensive and i think to myself there must be a more efficient way of producing feeders for Willow. Her diet consists of (in quantity order)

*brown crickets
*black crickets (i find the smell of these very difficult)
*morio worms (occasional staple when i run out of crickets)
*locusts (I can only buy them in tubs of around 6 and they don't last a day!)
*waxworms (occasional fatty treat ;)

And of course a vast amount of fresh collard greens are available daily! which of the above feeders are easiest to breed and where can i find more information on breeding?
Will it also be worthwhile?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I don't know if I would breed feeders just for one dragon, but I'm sure there are differing opinions out there. Crickets I would think would be easier to feed because you can give them the scraps from what you would cut up for your dragons, if it's good for the dragons, it's good to feed the crickets so that they can be gutloaded on healthy stuff for the bd's. Don't know anything about the actual breeding of them though.

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Aleena, the main reason i'm thinking of breeding is because i also use small crickets as an occasional treat for my 3 Axolotls and there isn't always enough to go round :) its only a thought at the moment, it depends how easy breeding is to whether i will decide to do it :D

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Em, have you considered buying bulk, saves you some cash & you don't have to maintain housing/breeding bins for your feeders. I have considered breeding feeders for my animals but I found a local supplier with great prices.

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
I have considered bulk buying Jp, i don't have much success keeping feeders alive though :L so there would be a lot of casualties!
what are you thoughts on buying dead crickets in bulk and using a vivicator?

PT-2831.jpg

i've considered using one but i can't bring myself to give my beardie dead food!

Latest posts