• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Installing Tile

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
So, as the title suggests, I want to take tile and actually install it as a permanent solution for an enclosure.

I currently use two glass "front-door" enclosures and am wondering if it's possible to grout tile effectively onto a glass base?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

JM

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Yeh id say it wud b I dnt c y not ? Only thing id say is wot wud u do if ewt happened n a tile broke. Wud that mean ud need a new viv? I hace tile in mine but I just use sand to fill in the edges well... Diego liked his sand so I kept a bit in there obly bout 1/4 of the viv in his basking area. And he does sleep in the sand quite often aswel :)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My concern would be cleaning out tile that's been grouted in place. The nice thing about removable tile is just taking it out, hosing it down, drying it off, and replacing it in the enclosure. Also, I'd be concerned about grouting tile to glass, assuming the bottom of your enclosure is glass...
What do you think?

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
Yeh id say it wud b I dnt c y not ? Only thing id say is wot wud u do if ewt happened n a tile broke. Wud that mean ud need a new viv?
I suppose if one were to break it could simply be grouted along the crack. It could even add to the "feel" of the enclosure!

My concern would be cleaning out tile that's been grouted in place. The nice thing about removable tile is just taking it out, hosing it down, drying it off, and replacing it in the enclosure. Also, I'd be concerned about grouting tile to glass, assuming the bottom of your enclosure is glass...
What do you think?
I'm opposite in this thinking I suppose, I currently utilize tile (just not seamlessly) but I find it a hassle to remove each piece, individually wash them and then having to wash the bottom of the enclosure also for things that fall between the tiles.
I think of it this way: if my kitchen tiles were not grouted and I had to individually clean each one - I'd blow a gasket with how much dirt and such would collect, but since it's all together I can easily clean one surface and be done.The glass portion was my only concern - the bottom is glass and it's been recommend to me by a friend in home development that I could use mortar for placing the tile - it would dry in place, but wouldn't adhere "permanently" making it somewhat easier if any tile need be replaced.

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
Sand instead of tile - or between the edges as you specified?

I've toyed the thought of using sand as well - but I also have a very young dragon and couldn't use that for her enclosure for the time being.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
My question is how much weight would this add to the bottom of the tank? If you had to move the tank for any reason would the glass hold up?

diegothediggy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Beardie Club
Sand between the edges I kept 1/4 of Diego viv sand coz he enjoys a dig :)
uploadfromtaptalk1395519200214.jpg

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
That's a great setup! It seems your tile is fairly close together too. Maybe something such as this would work for me if I got larger tile pieces.

What are the dimensions of this enclosure?

Keegirl96

Hatchling Dragon
Since we're on the topic of tile I have a question...what type/kind of tile do you all use? Ive been toying around with the idea of using tile instead of substrate in my cages since itll help save me some green and will be easier to clean but would like to know the best type of tile to use.

Oh and sorry to hijack your thread!!!

Jon Macintosh

Juvenile Dragon
No worries Keegirl!

Since we're on the topic of tile I have a question...what type/kind of tile do you all use? Ive been toying around with the idea of using tile instead of substrate in my cages since itll help save me some green and will be easier to clean but would like to know the best type of tile to use.

A lot of people recommend slate as it's generally untreated and natural - though I dislike how it flakes and the colors run when washing/scrubbing.

The tile I've used is a very rough tile generally used for porch type areas. Any tile can work - but if it's slick your dragon's claws won't wear down and he/she will have difficulty walking!

Latest posts