• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Injury care

bls

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
about a month ago my dragon got a really small scratch on his chin. I stupidly thought it would just heal on it own but after a couple of weeks it swelled a little and it looks like the wound has gone a pale shade of purple. Since I noticed that I have been washing the wound with a weak luke warm saline solution then applying betadine. since then it has not gotten any worse and i think the swelling may have gone down a little but im very worried because i think the skin has healed over a few granules of sand. Ive obviously taken all the sand out now but once i noticed the granules it was too late to wash any away.
Do you think this wound sounds like it will heal? or is it infected?
Im a student and most of my money goes to rent but obviously his welfare is more important so i will take it to the vet if everyone thinks that would be a good idea.
Also does anyone know what the vet might do in this situation and how much it might be?

PLEASE HELP!

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It sounds like an antibiotic is needed, not sure if iodine is good 4 reptiles. Try 2 get 2 a vet a.s.a.p

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
can you post a picture? if it was a small scratch meaning just on the surface, any sand should have come off with a scab or with the shed. when beardies get cut or have surgery it sometimes leaves funny looking scars. anytime they get a scratch or small cut, gently clean it and apply a thin coat of neosporin, it works great on reptiles. first time office visit with an exotic vet will be around 100 bucks or so.

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
sorry jeff we posted at the same time. if your dragon has never seen a vet, he needs to be seen anyway to check for parasites just as you would a cat or dog. keep them healthy because a sick beardie is an expensive beardie.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
sorry jeff we posted at the same time. if your dragon has never seen a vet, he needs to be seen anyway to check for parasites just as you would a cat or dog. keep them healthy because a sick beardie is an expensive beardie.
Don't sweat it, bro. We both have the same goal in mind.

Latest posts