• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Infrared Lamp?

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My mom just bought an infrared light (red) 75 watt is this okay to use during the day??? I've been constantly trying to up his temp in his viv with no avail so I asked her to buy me a halogen bulb 75 watt and she comes home with what seems to be this crap. Is it okay to use? I just want whats right. Tomorrow I leave for school in the am without time to get a new bulb until 215 so let me know your experience. Thank you

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Red bulbs aren't a good choice. Not enough light. Just use a regular household bulb for heat. Depending on the size of your tank will depend on the watt of the bulb.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
By not enough light what do you mean? What if I have my blinds open plus the UVB? I just need the heat really. Ive tried 100 watt. 75 watt. 65 watt. Ive even had the 125 watt and it didn't make it hot enough. That red light seems to make it hot but I am not a fan of it. What bulb do you prefer?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Bright white... I tend to use flood lights myself...
Those reds have the tendency to hurt my own eyes, when I used them on the geckos...
Hope this helps.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay. Do you think it will be okay if I use it just for today until I can get him a better bulb? Also what wattage to you prefer for a 20 gallon tall tank?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You'll have to play with watts to achieve the desired temps.. once those temps are where you need them.. that is the watted bulb you need..
I also would suggest, as cooler weather arrives in a couple of months... you check those temps carefully, as you may need a higher watt to maintain those temps.
A couple of days won't hurt..Just make sure your dragon can't get too close to that red.. if there is a screen lid between bulb and dragon, you should be fine.
Hope this helps.

corrine

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
If you can't get temps right by adjusting the bulb size, try moving the basking site a little closer to the light until you reach the right temps.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What size tank do you have that 125 houshold bulb doesn't make it hot enough. What kind of bulb holder are you using...does it point down or across?

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Its a 20 gallon tall. The MVB worked but then it broke and haven't matched it since. It's a clamp lamp so across the infrared lets me lay it across

Latest posts