• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

indoor hallogen flood light

mdp3612

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I tried the 100 watt GE Reveal and I was only getting 85 deg. I cant find a 150 Watt bulb that's a standard size bulb. Will a halogen indoor spot light work and if so what watt for a glass 40 gallon screen top tank?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
What are you using to read the temps, digital or analouge thermo and are you reading basking surface temps or air temps? It seems awfully low temps for a 100W bulb.

mdp3612

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Re: indoor halogen flood light

Digital thermometer and the basking surface. I ran the light for about 3 hours, Do I need to wait longer to check the temp?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Nah mate, that's enough time to get a proper reading with a digi thermo. What distance is the basking surface from the bulb? You could just move the basking surface up closer or the light down (which ever is easier) until you get the desired temps before you fork out more money on a new bulb. If that fails then i suggest getting a "flood light" type of bulb instead of halogens. Some holegens tend to have a hot "spot"

mdp3612

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member

There's no way for me to adjust the high so I'm gonna try a flood light, What watt would work best I have the dome sitting on the screen. 50 Watt?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member

mdp3612 said:
There's no way for me to adjust the high so I'm gonna try a flood light, What watt would work best I have the dome sitting on the screen. 50 Watt?

Try a 75W mate, I have a small one in one of my enclosures (4x2x2) for my terestrial snake and I'm getting 35-37C on the tank floor from about 20 inches from the bulb. I don't know if you could get them states side but it's a phillips brand bulb, it's quite small but powerfull. The whole bulb is only 4 inches in length and about a 3 inch bulb surface diameter.

Latest posts