• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Incomplete shed?

JulesNana

Bearded Dragon Egg
Greetings! This is Julius, purchased as a baby from PetSmart about four years ago for my daughter - but I think it's safe to say he's mine now.
It looks like people post questions here in Introductions so I'm going to do that - please let me know if I should post my concern elsewhere.
Jules is lovely and healthy for the most part, but during his last big shed, one band of skin on his tail remained. It's right in the middle, and 3-4cm wide. It's hard to see in the pic, I've done my best to highlight it.
The attached pics are from about six months ago (can't get one today because his face is shedding so he's cranky and hiding from me), today it's actually tighter looking, with the flesh above and below bulging a bit more.
Regular bathing and misting his tank haven't seemed to help, and I'm concerned about it cutting off circulation in his tail. He eats pretty well - dubias that we raise for him and green leafies, some other veg and berries, but no supplements (he stops eating when I try to add them). Is something I should be concerned about? Or is there something I should be doing to encourage shedding of that spot? I actually wrapped wet gauze around it a couple times hoping that would allow it to stretch a bit, and it seemed to help but only temporarily of course.
Thanks for any insight :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190412-102515.png
    Screenshot_20190412-102515.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 36
  • 20190412_093442.png
    20190412_093442.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 36

mamaof2dragons

Juvenile Dragon
ok that is a serious problem, retained shed can lead to blood constriction and eventually the loss of the tail and possibly his life if infection sets in.
what usually is the cause is in adequate heat, they need higher temps when shedding. you didn't mention what your temps are, so I'm gonna say up his high/basking temps to 107 to 110. Also try very warm soaks for 30 mins daily after the soak try rubbing some olive oil, or mineral oil (both can be found at your grocery store, mineral oil will be in with first aid , baby or sometimes in the aisle with laxatives as it's used for constipation even in beardies.) however dont use corn oil,safflower or vegetable oils there bad for your beardie.
There is also a shedding aid you can find on Amazon that I've heard about but never used personally as I like to stick to things that are all natural and that I know won't hurt my beardies. give that a try and let me know how it is going. also I forgot to mention a soft tooth brush works well to help loosen the shed.
good luck keep us posted.

Latest posts