• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

In home sales

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get some thoughts on what people think about this? Are most people comfortable in having strange people venture into their house for a sale. Do you guys screen buyers before hand if your going to have them go to your place? Do you meet them at a designated location instead?

Most people here in Oz will meet at a designated location rather than have them come to their houses as some people have collections into the tens of thousands in highly saught after specimens.

Twobeardieguy

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well I think most people here in the states just have people come to their homes cause this is a lazy country. ;D But If I were to have someone call then yes I would screen first. I would not just let everyone come into my home. Why so interested?

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It's one of the "Hot Topics" here in Oz, just thought i would see what guys over there think about it.
I will be breeding geckos soon enough and I'm trying to way up how to go about the sales. It a pretty small industry here, so shows only come about once a year if that.

People with "high end" specimens never disclose their address no matter what as last year a person with a collection worth about 30,000 had them stolen. Funny thing is only "friends in the industry" knew he even had reptiles, and even fewer knew where he lived.

Most of the people here will only meet at a designated location when making a sale (specially if it's a random person). People that have known each other over time usually come to each houses.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have had maybe a handful of folks to my home for a sale but for the most part local sales are done at a predetermined location. Im just not very comfortable with strangers traipsing around my home lol.

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have no problem with people in my home. I almost prefer it. I can put anything on my site, but if someone is looking right at it and sees how I do things and care for my dragons, its almost a sales pitch by itself. You cant fake a live healthy pooper.

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Every local breeder I've ever talked to (Portland, Oregon) has said they would meet, but did not allow people to come to their home. It makes sense to me. I don't breed lizards, but I do sell things on craigslist on occasion and I never let people come to my place. We always meet at a public place.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I could always introduce them to my cheif reptile keeper to deter any would be undesirables. ;)

t9.jpg

IMGP2216-1.jpg

lexi

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Aww, he looks like a sweetheart.... ;D I'm betting he's a good guard dog as well, though. I'm sure no one would stick around to find out! :D

egg 80

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
he looks like one of those dogs that looks at you as if he means business and when he gets to licks you to death, i got one of them lol.
tbh if im buying from a breeder i want to see where they are coming from and the conditions they have been brought up in but would welcome the breeder to screen me if required, as i would do if i was the breeder screen them first
paul

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks guys, he's a pretty decent guard dog at 45 Kg (99 pounds) most people give my house a wide berth lol.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OMG the doggy is so cute francis!!! But about the topic at hand. I never let people come to my house unless I personally knew the person. I would always have them meet me somewhere public or went down the block from my house and did it. I saw this topic on that Aussie forum and thought about posting there too. Unfortunately too many people can't be trusted nowadays and I'd rather not take the risk of letting strangers know where I live.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Anybody seen Turner and Hooch?

There's not many people I allow to come to my home. My vicious guard dog is a 4 lb Chihuahua. Not quite intimidating enough. But i do own large snakes and a Smith & Wesson. Not to mention, I'm not the friendliest of characters.

too many people can't be trusted nowadays and I'd rather not take the risk of letting strangers know where I live.

I'm with that!

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
Not to mention, I'm not the friendliest of characters.

you've gotta be one of the sweetest people ive spoken to gina i cant believe the above statement...or maybe im just one of the lucky ones?

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
There's not many people I allow to come to my home. My vicious guard dog is a 4 lb Chihuahua.

thats the most vicious gaurd chihuahua i have ever met in my life ;D
and big snakes only work on people like my wife lmao. but im with ya on the smith and wesson my home is protected by a italian made witness p40

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Well Oz doesn't have gun "culture" (i don't mean any offense by that). Though i am pretty handy with Kali sticks or a baseball bat, hockey stick, pool cue or even a spear. Pity i can't bring over grandad's sword to OZ. Guess I will stick with out of home sales when the time comes.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have always been the type to prefer being able to reach out and touch someone hince my love of guns.
but yes the US is deffinately a "gun culture"

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I still need to make arrangements with the breeder I'm buying from, but by the looks of his website he's willing to let people come into his home. He also mentioned in one of the e-mails he's sent me that he likes showing buyers how the little hatchlings eat chopped up greens from his hand. :3 It sounds adorable.

Latest posts