• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Im worried about my new baby bearded dragon

Krysten_78

Bearded Dragon Egg
image.jpg so yesterday I got a baby bearded dragon from pets mart. In his tank in the store he was super active and seemed fine and the store owner even let me feed him and he seemed great. However since I’ve gotten him he hasn’t eaten or drank anything but he did poop once. He is also hasn’t moved almost at all and just seems very lethargic and just lays there with his eyes closed. I have him in a 20 gallon tank he is about 4 inches long I believe and the cool side of his tank is about 80° and the hot side is around 96-100° and I’ve been struggling a bit to get it any higher than that. I’m just concerned that something may be wrong or I need to change something. He showed a little interest at first when I put a couple crickets in with him but he never actually went after any like he did in the store.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvenile Dragon
They do go through a period of relocation stress, but you don't want him to lose weigh5 while he's so tiny. How is he today? Is he showing any interest in food? (Make sure the crickets are smaller than the space between his eyes, though).

patricia rust

Bearded Dragon Egg
When we first got our baby beardies we had to keep one side a lot hotter like 104. So u may need to get him a hotter wattage uvb bulb and something to climb on so it can get closer to the heat source without getting burned or touching it.

Drogo

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
As others have mentioned, it is normal for them to stress during relocation, but their bodies are also very fragile and sensitive, so you want to make sure they are getting everything they need.

Make sure not to put too many crickets in the tank at once, and do not keep them in overnight. Too many crickets could add to the stress. I've also heard covering the sides of the tank is good for combating stress, and makes them feel a little more secure.

It's possible the warm side is OK, but you need to make sure at least the basking area is close enough to the lamp to reach around 105-110. He will most likely not have an appetite if his body is not the right temps and they need the heat to help with digestion. If you have a digital thermometer, place it on the basking area for a few minutes and see what temperature you get. If it is below 100, add something to the basking area to elevate it closer to the lamp.

Also wanted to double check the heat lamp you are using also provides UVB and UVABs?

Alex Greene

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes and later on u will need to get a 40 gallon tank but he/she's still small so not to worry about the tank size soon but later later on get a higher bulb add a uvb light for him/her if get siding for all sides but the side u look in ay. If they see to far they get very stressed out in there tank.

Shania

Bearded Dragon Egg
View attachment 20303 so yesterday I got a baby bearded dragon from pets mart. In his tank in the store he was super active and seemed fine and the store owner even let me feed him and he seemed great. However since I’ve gotten him he hasn’t eaten or drank anything but he did poop once. He is also hasn’t moved almost at all and just seems very lethargic and just lays there with his eyes closed. I have him in a 20 gallon tank he is about 4 inches long I believe and the cool side of his tank is about 80° and the hot side is around 96-100° and I’ve been struggling a bit to get it any higher than that. I’m just concerned that something may be wrong or I need to change something. He showed a little interest at first when I put a couple crickets in with him but he never actually went after any like he did in the store.

Don’t worry! He’s just adjusting, my two babies did this at first too, just give them time try not to mess with him to much or move anything around in the cage every now and then try and offer food, if he doesn’t take it just lay back and try again later.

Latest posts