• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm in trouble!

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
So, I got in trouble with my husband today for buying some stuff on ebay for The Liz. He thinks we've spent too much on it already. He doesn't get that there's a lot that goes into taking proper care of a beardie. Plus, he's annoyed by how much research I do to learn more about this pet that we took on. Well, it ANNOYS ME that he thinks it's okay to just have the bare minimum for an animal that is going to be around for at least a decade (if we're lucky). It's a big commitment, especially in the first year. We got it for the kids, but I really wanted it, too b/c I love animals and we arene't allowed to have dogs or cats in our apartment. I'm the one who feeds it everyday and gives it baths, I wake it up in the morning and put it to bed every night.... it's like having a third kid. So, while we say it's for the kids, I see it as really my lizard b/c I'm the only one taking care of it.... RANT OVER.... Sorry

slices mommy

Juvenile Dragon
LOL well I did the same thing it was suppose to be for my son but I have now moved it out of his room and into the living room so I can watch him all day. I guess I got lucky because my husband likes my beardie too and he doesn't worry too much about me reading about them. I ordered a lid and uvb bulb from Amazon for about half of what the pet stores want for them maybe you can try there for your future purchases. I haven't looked on ebay for anything so i'm not sure if Amazon is cheaper or not but it would be worth a look.

Pat B

Super Moderator
LOL...and I did the same thing!! I got a beardie to give my grandson and after taking care of it for a while decided to keep it and I love the little guy with a HUGE attitude. It does take a few bucks to get their viv the way it needs to be but you have to in order for him/her to grow and thrive....you can always add the frills later on. It isn't good for a baby to have a lot of stuff anyway....the crix like to hide and the beardie can't find them. The more research you do and the more you know about your beardie....the better!! :cool:
@NaTasha....rant anytime. :D

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
I did buy the stuff on ebay and amazon.... you have to check both b/c different things are cheaper on each site. And I know not to clutter... I only have 2 hides and a hammock in the tank. I ordered a mushroom ledge from amazon to put in b/c germ says i need a space for the liz to get up closer to the uvb light. And from Ebay I bought calcium powder without d3 (already have some with), a temp gun, crickets, and some slate stacking rocks to lift the basking spot up higher (right now I'm using the kids' mega blocks :p). I only spent $60 for all that stuff, definitely a lot cheaper to buy from ebay and amazon than at the pet stores. Although, there's a place about 40 mins away from me called repxotica that has awesome prices on their products, but it's inconvenient to drive there whenever I need something. As for the crickets hiding.. i already learned my lesson; we had a fake rock background made of foam and even after blocking all the spaces on the bottom that the crickets were hiding in, they figured out how to climb up it and hid on the top. THEN they started eating their way into the foam... I had to remove it!. I usually take out one of the hides while she eats so the crickets have no where to hide... so far they haven't found out how to hide in the one I have on top of the mega blocks....

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
So, I got in trouble with my husband today for buying some stuff on ebay for The Liz. He thinks we've spent too much on it already. He doesn't get that there's a lot that goes into taking proper care of a beardie. Plus, he's annoyed by how much research I do to learn more about this pet that we took on. Well, it ANNOYS ME that he thinks it's okay to just have the bare minimum for an animal that is going to be around for at least a decade (if we're lucky). It's a big commitment, especially in the first year. We got it for the kids, but I really wanted it, too b/c I love animals and we arene't allowed to have dogs or cats in our apartment. I'm the one who feeds it everyday and gives it baths, I wake it up in the morning and put it to bed every night.... it's like having a third kid. So, while we say it's for the kids, I see it as really my lizard b/c I'm the only one taking care of it.... RANT OVER.... Sorry

I understand your frustration, i had to step on some toes to get the proper set-up & equipment for my beardie :/ the first few weeks/months do tend to eat into your finances quite a bit! but let your husband know that eventually spending money winds down to a comfortable monthly spend just to maintain what you already have set-up - excluding surprise vet bills or bulbs blowing etc, i must admit i didn't realise how much of a financial commitment is needed when you take on a bearded dragon! but you do have to compromise to make sure he/she is in great health! good luck with your husband - keep going with the good work! :)

Em Lynch

Juvenile Dragon
& as far as being the only one taking care of the bearded dragon i know how that feels! but as time goes on and my family became more comfortable being around her and tending to her i actually got some offers of help with feeding and waking up etc! :) so hopefully your family will come around

Pat B

Super Moderator
I did buy the stuff on ebay and amazon.... you have to check both b/c different things are cheaper on each site. And I know not to clutter... I only have 2 hides and a hammock in the tank. I ordered a mushroom ledge from amazon to put in b/c germ says i need a space for the liz to get up closer to the uvb light. And from Ebay I bought calcium powder without d3 (already have some with), a temp gun, crickets, and some slate stacking rocks to lift the basking spot up higher (right now I'm using the kids' mega blocks :p). I only spent $60 for all that stuff, definitely a lot cheaper to buy from ebay and amazon than at the pet stores. Although, there's a place about 40 mins away from me called repxotica that has awesome prices on their products, but it's inconvenient to drive there whenever I need something. As for the crickets hiding.. i already learned my lesson; we had a fake rock background made of foam and even after blocking all the spaces on the bottom that the crickets were hiding in, they figured out how to climb up it and hid on the top. THEN they started eating their way into the foam... I had to remove it!. I usually take out one of the hides while she eats so the crickets have no where to hide... so far they haven't found out how to hide in the one I have on top of the mega blocks....
Definitely do NOT buy from a pet store....they gouge the pocketbook!! ^

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
well the place i'm talking about is really good.... they sell the exo terra terrariums the cheapest I've ever seen them ($229) for the 36x18x18! a lot of their other stuff is reasonably priced, too. But, like I said, it's out of my way so I almost never go there... most of my shopping is online...

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
LOL... that could count. If we had the room and the funds, I would get another one so I wouldn't have to share with my kids... HA!

Mark W

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I'm sorry to hear this, I'm sure it's quite frustrating y'know. Anyhow, I'm only a kid, but I guess it'd be a good idea to try to explain to your husband that it does cost a lil' to pay for beardies an' all. :)

In general, does he like beardies, cost set aside?

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
You are married to the wrong guy. Get a divorce and get another BD in place of your husband. Hahaha...
The kids will understand and be on your side on this one :)

Just kidding, of course. I think that in due time he will like the BD, and let you spend some money.
As someone already mentioned, explain that the expense in just in the beginning.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yup just in the beginning, then the $150+/month in feeders, supplements, greens & power bills, bulbs every six months, etc. Not counting should vet visits be needed @ $150+ a pop. Yup! just in the beginning ;).

Only throwing this out there for the newcomer that may be reading this. They are not a cheap pet to keep ;).

Just sayin' ...

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
True, I was conscious of that when I posted, I have one. But looking at it from a hobby point of view, it is cheaper than some. I'm not saying that keeping a BD is cheap, believe me I want the best for my Beardie.

However, and for example, I used to fly remote control helicopters. I had two of them, but I as I remember, I paid more for the remote control radio than both choppers put together. Than crashing was almost inevitable. I crashed a heli at least once a month, and every time it was a one to two hundred dollars expense, sometimes more. And I had already spent $250.00 for someone to teach how to fly them, and then fuel and other maintenance gadgets. It's a wonder I lasted a few years in that hobby. And not to mention the fights at home, because this was my hobby, not a family thing. So I had to pay for a license and insurance, club membership in order to use the nearest flying field.

Right now we own three small dogs, a Poodle and two Shi Tzu's. The monthly trip to the groomer for them is $120.00 a month.

The maintenance for a BD is not cheap, but relatively speaking, it is cheaper than others. So I still maintain that the initial expense is greater than the monthly maintenance expense.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am not talking in comparison to other hobbies. Comparisons, relativity or point of views were not mentioned prior to your last post. Not every one takes their dog to the groomers once a month & the breeds you mentioned are also high maintenance pets that I would not consider beginner level. I am unsure what they are rated, or if they are.

The point of my post was because BDs are, for the most part, listed as a beginner level pet. I happen to disagree, but I don't control the listings.
As someone already mentioned, explain that the expense in just in the beginning.
To a Newbie reading this post, would get the impression that once the initial setup is paid for, that is the bulk of the expense & their upkeep is minimal.

Although it is a hobby to many & I am guilty on occasion of calling it that, they are mostly pets, other than collections. I most definitely do not disagree that there are much more expensive hobbies out there, but feel making that type of comparison is not at all relevant. The hobbies you mentioned are not rated beginner level, as you say, required specialized training & still more often than not, turn out badly to start out. Do not involve living creatures, that you can't just stop or set aside for a while, until the economy is better. Training wouldn't be a bad idea for these guys, though ;). Compare them to keeping a Goldfish, Hamster, some other beginner level pets, something more relevant, BDs are pretty high maintenance.

I also was not debating that the initial expense is not greater than the monthly maintenance expense, although in the long run, the initial setup is a very small part of it. The quote says, "the expense is just in the beginning", again leaving the impression that there is very little expense afterwards. I attempted to clarify that for the new comer's sake & specified that, not start an argument.

I am sure that Natasha's husband is aware of the expenses, as they already do & have had one for a few months now.

NaTasha Brinkley

Juvenile Dragon
Yup just in the beginning, then the $150+/month in feeders, supplements, greens & power bills, bulbs every six months, etc. Not counting should vet visits be needed @ $150+ a pop. Yup! just in the beginning ;).

Whoa! lol... I'm not spending nearly $150 a month on the upkeep. Crickets cost me $15 every 2 weeks, greens cost about 5 dollars for the month, we don't pay a power bill (we rent and utilities are included) and I bought all the supplements (calcium, multi, and calcium with D3) for around $25. Gotta love ebay. ;)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
;) You are lucky that you don't have to pay for Power, around here if power is included in the utilities & they realize that you have a BD or anything else out of the norm they will charge you extra. We even have to pay $25/month extra in the winter, just to plug our cars in so it will start in the morning, if power is included & that is just a necessity of life here ;).

Oh yes, if a person knows how to shop & where to look, most definitely you can keep the costs down.

The going rate here for Crickets from the Pet store is 12-15 each & is still where most get their feeders. Surprisingly not everyone has the internet or trust online shopping, or have a credit card for that matter. Many newbies are young teens who must support their own pets if they want them. At an average of 25-30 crix a day, that's approximately 800 crix a month, at least that's how many I used for one BD, 200/week, when I fed crix. So that is in the vicinity of $100/month alone. $10-20 power. $20/month Greens, Supplements. It is not in one lump sum, but they add up when you figure the whole picture.

Chris Baez Jr.

Juvenile Dragon
Germ, you're right, I should not have call them a hobby either. "They are pets". So far my experience with BDs is only a couple weeks or so. So maybe I shouldn't have even posted in this thread.

Yes, my bad! I should have said the initial expense is greater, due to having to provide housing and all the extras to make the our little friends comfortable and keep them healthy. And then, the trial and error. I already have enough extras to almost make an eBay store :) But, I'll save those for 'just in casers'.

Latest posts