• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I'm at a loss of what to do..

Shae_Clark

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got this guy a little over 3 weeks ago from a teacher who had originally got him as a classroom pet 2 years ago & since she no longer had a classroom she wanted to give him to someone who would take care of him, which I was happy to take him.. & even though he hadn't been handled since she got him, he is a total sweetheart, loves to cuddle & want's to be out all the time... Which is my issue ( I think ). As soon as his lights turn on, he is up scratching, glass surfing, & even tries to jump out of his tank while the lid is on. :( He's fine though for the most part when his lights are off, he just goes to sleep.

He's in the exact setup she had him in with the same lights & everything, so I'm not really sure what is going on. I get him out multiple times a day. I put window cling around his cage just in case he was seeing his reflection.. Which makes him scratching so much louder, since the back of the window cling is textured lol. I tried a dig box. His temps seem to be fine. He's eating ( everything except fruits & vegetables :rolleyes: ). He's pooping fine too. I am in the beginning process of building him a bigger tank but that won't be done for a little while. The tank he's in now is a 40 gallon breeder. Also, I know it's bare, I tried putting vines up but he just rips everything down while trying to get out.

Do you guys have any suggestions at all?? Do you think it's just him wanting to be out?

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
I got this guy a little over 3 weeks ago from a teacher who had originally got him as a classroom pet 2 years ago & since she no longer had a classroom she wanted to give him to someone who would take care of him, which I was happy to take him.. & even though he hadn't been handled since she got him, he is a total sweetheart, loves to cuddle & want's to be out all the time... Which is my issue ( I think ). As soon as his lights turn on, he is up scratching, glass surfing, & even tries to jump out of his tank while the lid is on. :( He's fine though for the most part when his lights are off, he just goes to sleep.

He's in the exact setup she had him in with the same lights & everything, so I'm not really sure what is going on. I get him out multiple times a day. I put window cling around his cage just in case he was seeing his reflection.. Which makes him scratching so much louder, since the back of the window cling is textured lol. I tried a dig box. His temps seem to be fine. He's eating ( everything except fruits & vegetables :rolleyes: ). He's pooping fine too. I am in the beginning process of building him a bigger tank but that won't be done for a little while. The tank he's in now is a 40 gallon breeder. Also, I know it's bare, I tried putting vines up but he just rips everything down while trying to get out.

Do you guys have any suggestions at all?? Do you think it's just him wanting to be out?
I have gotten $1 stuffed animals at Goodwill for my beardie to interact with; he's not a very active dragon though. It's better than bare tank. I don't think they care much for the naturalistic look since they haven't seen the Australian wilderness for dozens of generations by now.

I know of someone who keeps her beardy in a small enclosure with a mercury vapor light and she opens the side pane every morning before work. The beardy free-roams her small apartment and sometimes eats her succulents. When she comes home from work, she generally knows where to find him. He's usually perched on his favorite plant-covered rock bathing in the sunlight that comes through a window pane (so heat but no UV). On shady days or if she's working late, he'll come back into his enclosure for the MVB once the natural sunlight is gone. He doesn't defecate unless and until she puts him in a nice warm bath every day.

Shae_Clark

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have gotten $1 stuffed animals at Goodwill for my beardie to interact with; he's not a very active dragon though. It's better than bare tank. I don't think they care much for the naturalistic look since they haven't seen the Australian wilderness for dozens of generations by now.

I know of someone who keeps her beardy in a small enclosure with a mercury vapor light and she opens the side pane every morning before work. The beardy free-roams her small apartment and sometimes eats her succulents. When she comes home from work, she generally knows where to find him. He's usually perched on his favorite plant-covered rock bathing in the sunlight that comes through a window pane (so heat but no UV). On shady days or if she's working late, he'll come back into his enclosure for the MVB once the natural sunlight is gone. He doesn't defecate unless and until she puts him in a nice warm bath every day.
Ohh that's a good idea! I definitely have a stuffed animal around here that I could try. Thank you. & that's is awesome that he is so well behaved! I wish I could let mine do that, but I have dogs & lots of places that he could get stuck.. I have slowly been trying to beardie proof my house though so he can do that lol.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club

Please go over the lighting in the tank---- how old is the UVB? Is it a coil or a tube fixture --- the constant glass surfing could be caused by many things like temps in the tank too hot -- what are they and how are you taking them? No stick ons please --- the UVB could also be a cause --- if the UVB is a coil or if its expired --- the tank also could be a cause being too small --- all these things play a role in the behavior of the dragon --- especially the lighting in the tank along w/ basking temps ---

Latest posts