• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I think my dragon is entering brummation?!?

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hello everyone,
My dragon is one year old and he is sleeping and remaining still ALL day. I'm not sure when he starting slowing down but I think it was after summer. He gained a lot of weight and was storing food in his chin a lot (I wrote a post about that, not sure when). His temps are good and he has a UV tube. Temps are measured with digital probe thermometer from hardware store and I have a digital thermometer in his 40gallon tank. Should I continue to try to bathe and feed him? The last bowel movement he had was normal iin size, color, and really did not smell too much at all (if I didn't see the poop, I wouldn't have known it was in his tank).
Thanks for yalls help
ABB

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardies don't store food in their beards. What makes you think he was doing that. Was his beard "blow out" for a bit?

What uvb and % are you using. A beardie who is just a year normally shouldn't be in a full brumation. Are you sure he isn't suffering with parasites at all. I think I would suggest a fecal to be sure.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's always a good idea to get a fecal done before brumation. Yes, dragons in brumation need to stay hydrated.

As Lisa pointed out, I'm curious about storing food in his beard. Can you elaborate? Or point me to that post. I think I missed that one.

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hey guys and thanks for your response. Well he's not in brummation after all. He has been up and alert and eating for the past two days. No poop to speak of so I'm not sure how I can get a fecal without poop-suggestions?????? I have a 10.0 tube uvb in a 40g tank, I think reptisun since we got it from PetSmart. As far as the food in the neck, someone said that is what it could be, he has a saggy chin, I posted pics, I'm not sure when I think it was during the summer.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well those two puffy balls on the side of his neck are his jowls but food doesn't go in there, that I know of. I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to but the two lumps are normal, if you can see the one in this pic of BeeGee
DSCN0302.jpg

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If it looks like the pic of BeeGee and these of mine its normal skin, it allows the beard to be able to "puff" out

SNC002312-1-1.jpg
012-2.jpg
004-1.jpg

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
srabeardie said:
Hey guys and thanks for your response. Well he's not in brummation after all. He has been up and alert and eating for the past two days. No poop to speak of so I'm not sure how I can get a fecal without poop-suggestions?????? I have a 10.0 tube uvb in a 40g tank, I think reptisun since we got it from PetSmart. As far as the food in the neck, someone said that is what it could be, he has a saggy chin, I posted pics, I'm not sure when I think it was during the summer.
If you bought the bulb from PetSmart then it's a ReptiGlo not a ReptiSun. Petsmart only carries Exo Terra tube UVBs to my knowledge and Petco carries Zoo Med only

srabeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yep got it from Petsmart so its repti-somebody and I know it needs to be replaced.
The pics are an exact demonstration of beardie's beard. He made a BIG stink today in the tub with nitrates and all, but it had been about a month. He has been more active since "waking" up.....such a strange guy he is! He is eating his collards w/ calcium dust and a few dubias-so I will keep y'all posted. Next poop in the tank is getting tested.
Thanks to everyone for the advice, pics, and clarification 8)

Latest posts