• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I think my beardie really doesn't like me.

Ari Trotti

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, I have a 2-3 month old male beardie. I have had problems with him from the start. I have researched and I have done literally everything you guys are going to tell me. The shirt with my smell on it. The put your hand in the tank dont touch for days. Petting him, sweet talking, didnt wear black cloths, hand feed him, sing to him, left him alone for a week. NOTHING, NOTHING is working you guys. He hisses and puffs up at me and moves away from me when I try to let him smell my fingers. I wash my hands with organic unscented soap. He has bitten me many times. Sometimes I can get him out but tries to get out of my hand and sits on top of the back of my hand. His lights and heating are fine. He eats crickets and mealworms and fruits and vegetables. I have had a beardie before this one and he bonded with me so fast like with in 2-3 days and he did so well. But now I have this one and he doesn't want anything to do with me. I have bipolar depression disorder and chronic anxiety disorder could this ne why he want bond with me?

My husband and daughter can touch him and get him out of the tank no problem. Its really upsetting me and it's not fair. I dont want to keep him if he is not going to bond with me. I really want to rehome him and find a beardie that's not scared of me and will bonded with me.
Thanks guys

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry you are having problems with him. Just like people, animals all have their own personalities. My first dragon was a female and the SWEETEST dragon every, she still is. I got my boy and he was a little devil. Didn't want to be held, hissed, ran his tank all day. I thought about getting rid of him many times because he was so hard to deal with but I had to sit back and realize that he was who he was and I had to love him for being a free spirit. Letting him do his thing, let me love on my girl. He's 5 now and he is full of personality and still doesn't like to be held much but he likes to listen to me talk to him and he likes when I let him run around the house, I just can't be too touchy feely with him.

I have a veiled chameleon and he can be a bastard. He refuses to let me hold him and if I do get to hold him he will hiss at me and nip at me. My nephew came over, a person that comes by maybe 4 times a year and my chameleon climbed right up his arm with no problems! They just like who they like.

Latest posts