• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need some help?

Zal

Bearded Dragon Egg
First of all, let me apologize if this is in the wrong section.

After losing my job, I've had some issues with taking care of my dragon, and I fear that if I don't get this straightened out soon that I will have to give her away. It's not something I want to do, but it's starting to seem more likely because I don't want her to get hurt.

Anyways, her uv light hasn't worked in two months, her red night light AND her sun lamp have busted. (Seriously, those lights burn out every few months like clockwork,wth?)Right now, all she has is a regular house lightbulb. I try to keep it as hot in my room as possible, but it's still starting to seem like that's not enough.

I haven't been able to get her crickets regularly, because the only pet store that sells them is over an hour away. So I've had to give her fruits and veggies, which is difficult sometimes because she doesn't eat anything that doesn't move.

I was finally able to get her crickets the other day, but now she wont eat them! She hasn't ate in like two days and I don't know what to do. I read somewhere that it could be due to not having proper heat or lighting, and I've pretty much resorted to begging but pretty much everyone I know isn't able to help out because of the holidays and what-not.

I'm pretty much stuck. I really don't want to give her up but I feel like I'm running out of options. Is there like a website that sells lightbulbs or crickets at discounted prices? Also, do you think her not eating could have to do with the lightbulb situation?

Dragoneyed

Bearded Dragon Egg
That's a pretty bad situation. How are the temperatures right know with the house lightbulb? That you use a normal lightbulb is not so bad but it has to produce sufficient heat. Otherwise take a lightbulb with more power. And of course you need UVB. For you few days is it not so severe if UVB misses (at least if the bearded dragon is adult), but two months are much too long.

In which country do you live?

Zal

Bearded Dragon Egg
I live in the US. Right now the temperature honestly is pretty bad...but that light bulb is all I've got to produces some heat, but not much. I do however, leave the room that she's in as warm as possible, i'd say around 70-76 degrees Fahrenheit

Dragoneyed

Bearded Dragon Egg
How warm is it under the bulb? I think eating could even be dangerous for her because she can't properly digest.
I asked for the country because of the temperature. If you had warm temperatures outside you could take her outside so that she gets UVB.

Can't you at least for the moment get a more powerful lightbulb which produces more heat?

sayy_robbayy

Hatchling Dragon
First of all, let me apologize if this is in the wrong section.

After losing my job, I've had some issues with taking care of my dragon, and I fear that if I don't get this straightened out soon that I will have to give her away. It's not something I want to do, but it's starting to seem more likely because I don't want her to get hurt.

Anyways, her uv light hasn't worked in two months, her red night light AND her sun lamp have busted. (Seriously, those lights burn out every few months like clockwork,wth?)Right now, all she has is a regular house lightbulb. I try to keep it as hot in my room as possible, but it's still starting to seem like that's not enough.

I haven't been able to get her crickets regularly, because the only pet store that sells them is over an hour away. So I've had to give her fruits and veggies, which is difficult sometimes because she doesn't eat anything that doesn't move.

I was finally able to get her crickets the other day, but now she wont eat them! She hasn't ate in like two days and I don't know what to do. I read somewhere that it could be due to not having proper heat or lighting, and I've pretty much resorted to begging but pretty much everyone I know isn't able to help out because of the holidays and what-not.

I'm pretty much stuck. I really don't want to give her up but I feel like I'm running out of options. Is there like a website that sells lightbulbs or crickets at discounted prices? Also, do you think her not eating could have to do with the lightbulb situation?
lighting/heating is the most important consistency for your dragon. A regular house bulb Is perfectly fine bc they get hot as well, but as far as the uvb goes this is NOT good at all. You need to have her in direct sunlight outside at least 15 20 mins a day bc she needs UVB to survive. I know u don't want to give up your girl but she's not able to tell you how she feels right now and keeping her suffering is hurting her ya know ? I'm not trying to be mean I'm sorry. But how old is she ? If she's as adult she should be eating mostly fruits and veggies anyway and if she's not getting her body temp up high enough that could be the reason she isn't eating. She needs a.basking spot of at the very least 100. How's her poop ?

sayy_robbayy

Hatchling Dragon
And without that uvb she won't be able to digest what she's eating, another reason why she may be refusing crickets

Luvthemanimal

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Uvb is needed to PRODUCE D3. Without it they can form MDB etc..... They have to have a hot basking spot of 100-115 to digest there food..... There's a good chance your beardie is impacted also......

I'm sorry you lost your job... But in the best interests of your pet being without UVB and proper temps you should sell or give it away.... All your doing is hurting the beardie....

Imo UVB is more important than heat even go get a spiral UVB bulb is better than nothing