• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

i need some advice on Bearded Dragons

sydneymarie85

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i just got a dragon from my friend because he just left for the forces. so i would just like some advice on what to feed him and how to set up him cage, what to put in it?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome 2 the Forum, very nice of u 2 take care of your friends dragon while away. Let us know what u were given with the dragon (lights, thermometer, enclosure, calcium & vitamins, etc.) & we can go from there. Having an approximate age or size & weight is helpful as well to determine what kind of diet should be provided.

sydneymarie85

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i got his whole tank with a light and heat lamp, but thats about it, he has the vita-sand sutff in his tank with a branch and something to hid it. but thats it

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The heat lamp is 4 basking (hot side) & the other should be a UVB (helps produce D3 & prevent bone disease) Are they both compact lights (normal size bulbs) or is one a flouresent tube 18" & up? I would recommend removing the vitasand/calcisand stuff, it has been known 2 cause impaction & kill dragons.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Can u please post a pic of the dragon & set up u were given? It will help.

sydneymarie85

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
i went out and bought the right bulbs and everything, so i know i have that right, what should i use instead of the vita sand?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
More owners are using tile or paper towels. Much easier cleanup & safer for them than any sand. Dragons taste their surrounding often & with sticky tongues can ingest the sand. Feeding live food on loose substrates (sand, shredded coconut, wood chips) can be risky. If u do decide 2 stick with a loose substrate, I would recommend feeding live food in a plastic bin or outside the enclosure. Did your friend let u know what the dragon is used 2 eating or prefers?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Lettuce offers no nutrition just moisture. Fresh collard greens, arugula, mustard greens & dandelion greens are very good alternatives. Fruits (no citrus). Mealworms shells are hard 4 dragons 2 digest & superworms are a good alternative you can feed with the crix. Do u have calcium powder?

sydneymarie85

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
do they sell the greens at the store? and for fruits, like apples and bananas? and super worms instead of mealworms got it:], and no i dont have calcium powder, is that the stuff you put on the cricketS?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Calcium & vitamins should be added 2 their diet 3 times a week. Since u have a UVB light, D3 shouldn't be an ingredient in the calcium or vitamins.

sydneymarie85

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
oh ok:] sorry for asking all these questions, i just wanna make sure:],

and what types of things should i put in his tank? oh and should i get a running waterfall for him to?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
do they sell the greens at the store? and for fruits, like apples and bananas? and super worms instead of mealworms got it:], and no i dont have calcium powder, is that the stuff you put on the cricketS?
Apples & banana occasionally. When u get a chance, hit up beautifuldragon.com for menu items & much more. Sorry, yes calcium is what goes on the crix.

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
oh ok:] sorry for asking all these questions, i just wanna make sure:],

and what types of things should i put in his tank? oh and should i get a running waterfall for him to?
All he really needs is something 2 bask on, it could be a piece of driftwood, a stepping stone, a rock, etc. A waterfall does sound cool but too much humidity in the enclosure isn't good 4 a dragon's health. Dragons rarely drink water, they get the moisture they need from what they eat, that's y the diet is so important. No worries on the questions, glad I could help out.

sydneymarie85

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
he has a 50 gal tank i think. and should i get him things to climb on like branches or something?

Jp

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
50 gal is perfect. Branches r cool, don't let him get 2 close 2 the heat source.

Latest posts