• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need help!

ilikepickles:)

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've had my bearded dragon for about two years now, and he's always been as healthy as a horse. I clean his tank and when I do, I take everything out and clean it individually as well. I feed him three times a day, five mealworms and greens. I turn his lamp off when it's dark out, and I turn it on when it lightens up outside. I'm doing everything, I play with him on a regular basis, and he receives a lot of attention and love every day. The problem is, is that there is discharge coming out of his nostrils and eyes. I am scared to death!!! I can't afford a vet right now, and if I could, I wouldn't be writing this! This has never happened.

He needs help. Any tips?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I've had my bearded dragon for about two years now, and he's always been as healthy as a horse. I clean his tank and when I do, I take everything out and clean it individually as well. I feed him three times a day, five mealworms and greens. I turn his lamp off when it's dark out, and I turn it on when it lightens up outside. I'm doing everything, I play with him on a regular basis, and he receives a lot of attention and love every day. The problem is, is that there is discharge coming out of his nostrils and eyes. I am scared to death!!! I can't afford a vet right now, and if I could, I wouldn't be writing this! This has never happened.

He needs help. Any tips?
You did not mention a UVB --- what are you using and what are your basking temps? How are you taking them ? NO stick on -- you need a digital probe thermometer for actual basking temps---- mealworms are not a good staple feeder - you need crickets dubia roaches or silk worms---- I recommend dubias but a variety is good -- we need to figure out the cause for the discharge and we are going to start w/ the lighting in the tank

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon

He needs help. Any tips?
If your beardie was fine for 2 years under your care regiment, then the likelihood that there is anything wrong with your routine causing the discharge is slim. The only thing I can think of is if your UVB failed (because you didn't replace it within the specified time?), as in it's still emitting light but not (enough) radiation. However, that is a discussion on metabolic bone disease and discharge from the eyes and nose do not signify that.

Is s/he still active, behaving and feeding normally? If not, these are symptoms suggest possible pneumonia. Perhaps s/he has aspirated water in a bath or the water dish? S/he will seem to recover just fine from the "drowning" but may then get worse from the subsequent infection. This would be unlikely if s/he has no water dish and has not taken a bath in 2 weeks or so. Although it may be something that would go away by itself, especially if there is no lethargy or drastic decrease in appetite, it may call for a vet visit (especially if these additional symptoms are noted).

Last edited:

Latest posts