• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I need help

Michael James

Bearded Dragon Egg
Question about feeding. My guy is a little over a year old and he hasn't been eating like he normally does. It's been about a week or so and his appetite has decreased. I would normally feed him 10-12 crickets and 1-2 superworms in the morning for breakfast. He would have a bowl of greens in his tank to snack on throughout the day and he would usually eat more than half. Then for dinner he would get another dozen or so crickets. This last week or so, he hasn't had much interest in his food. He would maybe eat 2-3 crickets a day and a few leaves of greens. He seems to still be pooping if not everyday, every other day.

Just curious what might be going on here with him.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@Michael James I moved this to it's own thread so that more people will notice it.

Do you have a picture of him and his set up? What are you using for UVB and basking lights? What are his temps and what are you measuring with? As dragons get older they do start to taper off on how much they eat. Mine used to eat 3x a day when they were under a year and then when they got closer to a year, they would only want to eat 1x. Now they are adults and they only want to eat a few days a week.

Michael James

Bearded Dragon Egg
@Michael James I moved this to it's own thread so that more people will notice it.

Do you have a picture of him and his set up? What are you using for UVB and basking lights? What are his temps and what are you measuring with? As dragons get older they do start to taper off on how much they eat. Mine used to eat 3x a day when they were under a year and then when they got closer to a year, they would only want to eat 1x. Now they are adults and they only want to eat a few days a week.

I can post a picture of him and his set up when I get home. I have two zoo med 75W UVA basking lights and a zoo med UVB bulb during the day. At night, I use a ceramic heater. During the day, his hammock sits under the basking site and the temperature is between 98-104. At night with the ceramic heater, its usually between 78-84. I have a digital thermometer in the tank, but I also have a laser temperature gun that I use regularly to check several locations within the tank.

Michael James

Bearded Dragon Egg
Here is a picture of his set up. He ate 2 crickets, 3 super worms and a few pieces of greens for breakfast, but wasn't to interested in anything more than that. It is 98 degrees in his basking spot and 78 degrees on the cool side of the tank.

Attachments

• Mondo.jpg
    Mondo.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 17

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
There is a lot going on in that tank, make sure he can move around easily. The temp during the day sounds good, the temp at night is a little too warm. You want it to cool down, 65-70 at night is what you want to aim for in the whole tank. Are you using the dials on the back of the tank to measure temps? If so, they are inaccurate because they only measure the temp on the glass and not where your dragon is actually sitting. A temp gun works great.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Here is a picture of his set up. He ate 2 crickets, 3 super worms and a few pieces of greens for breakfast, but wasn't to interested in anything more than that. It is 98 degrees in his basking spot and 78 degrees on the cool side of the tank.
What size tank is that?? it looks tall. What are all those things on the floor corks or pebbles?? In my opinion you may want to try a strip UVB set up instead of the dome bulbs..it could be that he's not eating like he used to if he can't digest things well. Most of us use Reptisun T5 HO with the 10.0 bulb..now if you switch to this make sure you keep a basking bulb as they need both to digest properly..

Michael James

Bearded Dragon Egg
There is a lot going on in that tank, make sure he can move around easily. The temp during the day sounds good, the temp at night is a little too warm. You want it to cool down, 65-70 at night is what you want to aim for in the whole tank. Are you using the dials on the back of the tank to measure temps? If so, they are inaccurate because they only measure the temp on the glass and not where your dragon is actually sitting. A temp gun works great.

I'll have to look for a less powerful ceramic heater to lower the temperature at night a bit. No, not the gauge on the back. I have an infrared gun that I check regularly.

Michael James

Bearded Dragon Egg
What size tank is that?? it looks tall. What are all those things on the floor corks or pebbles?? In my opinion you may want to try a strip UVB set up instead of the dome bulbs..it could be that he's not eating like he used to if he can't digest things well. Most of us use Reptisun T5 HO with the 10.0 bulb..now if you switch to this make sure you keep a basking bulb as they need both to digest properly..

The bottom is covered in corks. I had been using a towel, but thought he might like to dig around a bit with the corks. Makes cleanup pretty easy too, as I can just discard them. Yea, I heard the domes weren't the greatest. I'll have to look into an upgrade. Tank is a 30 gallon

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
Just my opinion.....and I know money is always a deal so I respect that too.

Just for starters, what we (me and you and most) think of as good enclosures for these guys aren't. Aquariums just aren't built for reptiles no matter how often you see it done.
It CAN be done, but just keep that in mind for future.
So what they said up there for lighting.....that what you need.....a hot spot and UVB....Reptisun long bulbs being best, like what they said above.
In all honesty that space is super busy....lotta stuff happening. While we want them to be "stimulated" we also don't want a haunted house....
Telling you....the simpler the better.
This is the place for info though.

Twinkie13

Juvenile Dragon
Paper towels or newspaper or cabinet lining(what i use).....easy and clean

I'll also say I haven't really ever had to change my substrate but once a year.....

If you soak em regularly, most will want to poop in the water...it's quite nice.
And I'm no expert......this is my first dragon

Latest posts