• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I have sand now.. but want to switch...help..dilema

Nancy_alex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I have sand in my beardie Lolitas cage now, but want to switch to ceramic tile because of what I have read on here about sand substrate. But here is my dilema.I just got her about a week a go..she is 7 months...and because of the stress she just started eating again and calming down, so I dont want to disrupt her again but I also dont want her to get sick and impacted... this is her frist time on sand , the woman I got her from said that it was time for her to be on sand and that when I make her cage up I should put sand in. So what should I do... wait until I change the substrate...and how long should I wait? and when I change it to tile I want to grout the tile, but do I then have to wait for the tile and grout to set and harden before I put her back in and how long should I let it set...and where should I keep her in the mean time? Also when I grout the tile this is permant in the cage right? and therefore can just be wiped down to be disinfected, and how often to I do that? So many question...lol and one more in regards to the sand ...since shes in it now... how often should I clean it??? does it have to be completely taken out of her cage and replaced or can I just scoop out her fecees? Thanks if anyone can answer all or any of my questions that would be greatly appreciated..thanks
Nancy and Lolita ;D

TheWolfmanTom

Dragon Breeder
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello again,
I would start pulling large amounts of the sand out. Is this your dragons permanent home? If it isn't, I would simply use non adhesive shelf liner for now. I would then set up the permanent enclosure with your tile grout it in and dont sweat it. If this is the forever home your going to have to use a temp setup till you grout sets or just use the shelf liner. Hope this makes sense I didn't have coffee yet.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
you dont neccessarilly have to grout your tile. I never have. I find it easier to be able to pull the tile out when i want to so that i can do a full cleaning on the cages and clean the tiles outside the cages.
you will need to spot clean/dissinfect the areas that they poop in daily. and as tom said if you gradually change it things will be ok.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You may want to reconsider grouting the tile in. You can get the tile to fit your viv. Lay papertowels under it. This way, it is easy to lift them out and give them a good cleaning every now and again. And you can replace the papertowels.

You can spot clean after every poop. I would give the walls and furniture a good cleaning weekly.

Nancy_alex

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks guys ya I will do that.. and not grout the tiles....does anyone have any suggestions about the type of tile to use perhaps someone can give me the name brand and place they got their tile from..thanks for al the help...Lolita will be happy...hehehe

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ceramic or slate tile you can get them rather cheap at lowes and home depot. and they have the tool there rather cheap as well to cut it.

Latest posts