• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

i feel like my bearded dragon hates me more the more i try to get closer

iz:)

Bearded Dragon Egg
ive only had them for two days (theyre still too young to tell the gender yet) but the day i got them they didnt hiss at all and was fine with being held by everyone i live with. but now they try to escape from being held and will hiss at us while we hold him. just now they hissed when i put my hand in his cage. ive been feeding them 1/4" crickets and i have a calcium supplement i sprayed the crickets with today. the only vegetables theyve been liking so far are green bell peppers and theyve eaten that from my finger tips. i dont know if theyre just cautious just from being in a new place or not but id like tips on how to get them to like being around me more. they also have a habit of waving at me but only after hunting down crickets when theyre basking. they havent waved at me any other time so i dont know what that means but i would love some tips:) i dont know the heat on the basking spot bc i got that when i got them but when i had the log hide under the light it got to 92F

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 15

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Please give ur baby time to calm down it’s recommend to not hold them for atleast for a month , i know it can be very tempting cause they’re so cute, it sounds like he’s stressed, and waving can be an act of submission kinda like hes saying “hey hii see me ima baby dont eat me” it’s actually a good thing, means he really doesn’t wanna bite u hes just scared, it appears you only have 1 light fixture? Are you offering UBV? Or is it just a basking bulb?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The best thing you can do to tame him down is repetition and consistency, id start just by being there putting ur hand in his tank to give him crickets, veg, u need to earn his trust , the second he no longer hisses or runs away then u can start some light handling and even then id only hold him inside the tank , give him the option to run away if he wants never restrain, once hes no longer trying to get away extend the time, always talk to them in a low calm voice , hes just stressed right now, give em time and he’ll come to you.

TinySmaugOfficial

Hatchling Dragon
ive only had them for two days (theyre still too young to tell the gender yet) but the day i got them they didnt hiss at all and was fine with being held by everyone i live with. but now they try to escape from being held and will hiss at us while we hold him. just now they hissed when i put my hand in his cage. ive been feeding them 1/4" crickets and i have a calcium supplement i sprayed the crickets with today. the only vegetables theyve been liking so far are green bell peppers and theyve eaten that from my finger tips. i dont know if theyre just cautious just from being in a new place or not but id like tips on how to get them to like being around me more. they also have a habit of waving at me but only after hunting down crickets when theyre basking. they havent waved at me any other time so i dont know what that means but i would love some tips:) i dont know the heat on the basking spot bc i got that when i got them but when i had the log hide under the light it got to 92F
Could be what these other people say, but we need to rule out the lights first. What kind of bulbs are you using?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
You keep saying them and they-- how many dragons do you have? If there are two you need to separate them asap--- dragons are territorial creatures and the older they get the more that will become clear especially in juvenile stage -- please go over your lighting --- you need one good bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and a good UVB tube fixture NO coils --- they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues and death as well -- the behavior the dragon is exhibiting could be from the tank too hot --- improper UVB -- the basking temps and UVB are the TWO MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank - they control the over all health and behavior of the dragon

Broly

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
You keep saying them and they-- how many dragons do you have? If there are two you need to separate them asap--- dragons are territorial creatures and the older they get the more that will become clear especially in juvenile stage -- please go over your lighting --- you need one good bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 105-110 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer and a good UVB tube fixture NO coils --- they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues and death as well -- the behavior the dragon is exhibiting could be from the tank too hot --- improper UVB -- the basking temps and UVB are the TWO MOST IMPORTANT things in the tank - they control the over all health and behavior of the dragon
The OP is clearly saying them/they because they’re not yet sure of the sex of the dragon. Which they stated after first saying ‘they’.

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please give ur baby time to calm down it’s recommend to not hold them for atleast for a month , i know it can be very tempting cause they’re so cute, it sounds like he’s stressed, and waving can be an act of submission kinda like hes saying “hey hii see me ima baby dont eat me” it’s actually a good thing, means he really doesn’t wanna bite u hes just scared, it appears you only have 1 light fixture? Are you offering UBV? Or is it just a basking bulb?
thank you i wont hold him for a month and i might just put a piece of clothing for my scent. i have a uvb and a basking bulb they just go in the same fixture. thank you so much:)

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
thank you i wont hold him for a month and i might just put a piece of clothing for my scent. i have a uvb and a basking bulb they just go in the same fixture. thank you so much:)
If your using a coil UVB this would contribute to the behavior your getting--- I would recommend you get rid of the coil ASAP--- they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues -- possible death if not replaced --- you need a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank here is what you need https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it for a back up you need this bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html a 22" bulb --- you are in luck they have them in stock this place is good and fast I recommend you get this ordered ASAP -- this could be a cause for the behavior your getting ---

Bearded Dragon Egg
If your using a coil UVB this would contribute to the behavior your getting--- I would recommend you get rid of the coil ASAP--- they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of health issues -- possible death if not replaced --- you need a 24" fixture for a 40 + gallon tank here is what you need https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb hang on to it for a back up you need this bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-uvb-t5.html a 22" bulb --- you are in luck they have them in stock this place is good and fast I recommend you get this ordered ASAP -- this could be a cause for the behavior your getting ---
okay i just ordered it thank you so much! would i just need the same basking light then or does that one provide both??

Bearded Dragon Egg
The best thing you can do to tame him down is repetition and consistency, id start just by being there putting ur hand in his tank to give him crickets, veg, u need to earn his trust , the second he no longer hisses or runs away then u can start some light handling and even then id only hold him inside the tank , give him the option to run away if he wants never restrain, once hes no longer trying to get away extend the time, always talk to them in a low calm voice , hes just stressed right now, give em time and he’ll come to you.
okay ill definitely do this thank you so much!!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
okay i just ordered it thank you so much! would i just need the same basking light then or does that one provide both??
Same basking light -- a bright white that provides the correct temp--- when you get the UVB please let me know so I can help you get it placed and correct distance -- what did you order the T 5 or a T 8?

Latest posts