• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I feel bad should I offer more?

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
So the babies have been home 8 days and everything is going well, I think, but is it normal for a baby bearded dragon to eat so much in one day? This was what they had today:

Charlie:
Breakfast: 15 juvenile sized hoppers (locust), a large leaf of spring greens, 6 rocket leaves a thinly sliced green bean.
Lunch: 8 juvenile sized hoppers, a large bowl of Curly Kale.
Dinner: 10 juvenile sized hoppers, half a leaf of spring greens and a mid sized bowl of Curly Kale.

Nibbler:
Breakfast: 20 juvenile sized hoppers, a large leaf of spring greens, 6 rocket leaves a thinly sliced green bean.
Lunch: 12 juvenile sized hoppers, a large bowl of Curly Kale.
Dinner: 12 juvenile sized hoppers, half a leaf of spring greens and a mid sized bowl of Curly Kale.

There was nothing left by either of them at any meal time and they were looking for more food. Should I offer them more to eat? I don't want them to be hungry at any point in the day while their growing. Nibbler is just an inch nose to tale bigger than Charlie. They are 9.5inches and 8.5inches respectively. By my own reckoning I'm over feeding them as their each getting as much if not more in their bowls than they had between 40 while they were with the clutch. Nibbler is 7 weeks 4 days old and Charlie 7 weeks 2 days old.

On another note they both appear to still hate me :( I've tried everything I can to make them tolerate me, I've left them to their own devises as much as possible, the only time I've touched them is to clean their viv's they've not been out for playtime or a bath etc I'm hoping by the end of the 14 days settling in period I will be able to at least put them in some warm water their both a bit itchy Charlie has the remnants of his last shed and Nibbler is looking like he's gonna start soon.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I think that I wouldn't worry a bit at what appears to be a very healthy appetite in both of them:) They will eat until they are full and knowing that there is really very little chance of them "over-eating". I personally don't even consider over feeding unless it is a food that for instance waxworms which have a very high fat content, Superworms which have a high chitin count or say carrots which have high vitamin A all of which if I were to let him Mungi will gorge himself on. Those types of foods I only offer as occasional treats anyway so there is no concern. Safe staple foods and safe live feeders I let him decide when he has had enough.
Besides with healthy appetites like they seem to have it will translate into them growing fast and strong and if they are cleaning their plates not only is that a sign they like what you are feeding them and makes it easier when you do the dishes:)
I really think it is also too early to say that they hate you...lol...I believe that not only do they not hate you, Khaleesi but that in a very very short time will be very spoiled dragons and eating from your hands, literally....all it takes is a bit of patience:)

Enjoy!!

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I have a six month old that's only 9.5". Someone must be doing something right! I envy you. Lol. For comparison, my two went through six dozen (yes that's 72) crickets today. I think they're didn't just fine.

*correction... he's probably closer to seven months!

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
Today I've decided to feed until they stop with the live food for each of the 3 feeds and see what they actually want, and as for the greens I think I will serve them on paper plates and do a mountain of food for them for breakfast, they've demolished a huge amount each but I think I've filled their bellies and then lunch and dinner go down in size with their meals I don't want bloated bellies at bedtime something tells me huge amounts of undigested food will just cause me problems in the long run! This morning Charlie ate just as much as Nibbler on the live food front :) but the best bit was when I hand fed Nibbler I almost lost a finger but it was well worth it :D I think he's starting to trust me a little more but neither of them like me very much lol I always offer the first live feed of the day by hand because I know their hungriest then.

@Sean I think size works just like in humans its all genetics I'm short (5'5'') but my mum and dad are tall (5'11'' and 6') Charlie is really quite small but his brother is huge :p

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Demon would not like to be handled when young. Was very skittish for the first 10 months of his life, then became quite amiable.

Patience is the answer ;).

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
GOOD LORD that's a lot they put down! I wish I could get my baby to eat one-TENTH of the veggies they consume! Honestly though, sounds like they just have good appetites.

On a side note, why do you feel they hate you? Just because they don't like being handled? If so, I wouldn't worry about that. Everything I have read points to them opening up more and being laid back after the first 10 months or so. You've had other BDs if I remember correctly, so I bet you know that better than me!! :D

khaleesi

Juvenile Dragon
They just don't appear to be able to stand the sight of me lol they snub me when I talk to them although they are more tolerant of me now than when I brought them home. Their dad has real character he refuses to leave his viv and when they do manage to get him out he scratches and claws until they put him back. Dinner time in our house is always fun especially with the babies they like to camp in their dishes when they've emptied them especially Nibbler he never seems to be full up. I just bought them new stuff for their viv's they have a climbing frame type devise made of wood kinda like a bridge Charlie doesn't really give it much attention but I did only get them today and I got them a teepee hide each there cool neither of them have investigated them yet.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi: Khalessi; I have not congratulated you on your new babies; So Cograts; I would not worry about them not liking you-you are food right now and all they want to know is bring it on MOM; So i would not even think they hate you. If i recall correctly they are still new and settling in and they will begin to love you given time and routine which you seem to have. Read my post on NEW BABY RESCUE; I just got a new baby quit by accident lol-and he has no problem being friendly but was very frightened at first and very skidish.and i thought this would be very tough but he's coming around slow but sure-you will notice a little improvement slowly. Good luck with your new babies and relax and enjoy them-you are fine and doing well-bella-aka-river

Latest posts