• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I don't think Wrex is eating enough. :(

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I have one question.
you stated that you were feeding him pinhead crix. Since pinheads are the size of fleas, I'm not certian which ones you're feeding. size of prey could also have a place here. Although I'm inclined to agree with the recommendation of relocation stress.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
I have one question.
you stated that you were feeding him pinhead crix. Since pinheads are the size of fleas, I'm not certian which ones you're feeding. size of prey could also have a place here. Although I'm inclined to agree with the recommendation of relocation stress.

The lady at PetSmart said they were pinheads, but she was probably wrong, seeing as she works at PetSmart. >_> They were 1-2 week old crickets - all smaller than the space between his eyes, and some really small, but most just moderately tiny.

It's probably relocation stress, but I'll try all of your suggestions and buy some silkworms if he doesn't stop it within a week or so. Thanks!

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't know what to do guys.. Wrex didn't eat ANY crickets today. When I put him in the feeding box he spends the entire time trying to escape. He didn't touch his salad either, and i'm really starting to get worried about him. I tried feeding him twice and got no results either time.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Temperature really plays a role in their eating and digestive process. Have you gotten a digital probe thermometer or a temp gun?

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
The temp gun is in the mail currently, and should be here soon. :-\ Right now the stick-on thermometer I temporarily have is giving good readings, and he gapes sometimes and basks a lot, so I dunno if that's the problem..

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
valkryja said:
The temp gun is in the mail currently, and should be here soon. :-\ Right now the stick-on thermometer I temporarily have is giving good readings, and he gapes sometimes and basks a lot, so I dunno if that's the problem..
There is no way to know that the stick on is giving good reasons as they are just not accurate for the type of temps you need to know for your dragon.
how big is your guy again? 1-2 week old crix are very small. YOu want the feeders to be as close to the size of the space between their eyes as possible. significantly smaller or larger and you may get a few different reactions such as eating an ungodly huge amount of them, or ignoring entirely.
As it sits currently your biggest flag is still the temps i bet you will learn a lot when your tempgun comes in.
Plus your dragon is still going through relocation stress IMO (relocation stress can last a few hours to a month) so for now dont worry so much ok.

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
OH SWEET JEEBUS I GOT HIM TO EAT. X_X

He just ate 20+ crickets after I finally found out what his problem was:
Wrex is horribly claustrophobic.

I realized that every time I tried feeding him in his own viv, the reason he never chased the crickets was because I tried this AFTER he refused to eat in the feeding box. Then I realized that this was probably because he was very stressed out at this point. Plus, I typically put three or four crickets at a time in the viv, which I guess overwhelmed the little guy. And every time I put him in the box, he spent the entire time scrambling up the walls and going crazy trying to escape.

So I finally got him to eat by delivering the crickets, one by one, right in front of his face on his basking spot. -_- He was too lazy to chase them and got overwhelmed when there was more than one, but he ate a whole bunch when I gave them to him individually.
This obviously isn't going to cut it forever, and he's going to have to deal with being fed like a normal dragon at some point, but for now I'm glad that he's at least eating something. :)

valkryja

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Haha, thanks! Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to individually feed him 40+ crickets a day while he's sitting on his basking spot. x_x And bath time will be an issue, too. Knowing him, he won't settle for anything smaller than my bath tub, and my mom does NOT want a lizard in the bath tub.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That is great news. I'm sure it is a temp situation. Once he is over his relo stress and realizes that you are not the predator, he'll be chasing after those crickets in no time. ;D

Latest posts