• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I broke the basking light that came with the kit :(

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
So this morning I kinda messed up the basking light that came with the kit which I have just about replaced everything that came with it lol

My problem is I don't know the kind or wattage it is. I been reading around and see some use a flood light.

Question is. I have 40 gallon breeder tank with a repsun 10.0 18" tube. So which bulb and wattage should I go with please ?

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Good morning and good afternoon, Stumpy! :D

I experimented with many basking lights and all of them only lasted so long before they went out. One time, an infrared light exploded and the poor girl was so scared she clang to me the entire time and wouldn't go back into her tank.

I used to use a 100 watt reptile basking spot lamp. (It didn't work for Allie. It didn't heat her basking spot good enough and she wasn't digesting her food right.) Now, I use a 75 watt halogen flood light for her tank because the last bulb I used didn't heat her hot side good enough and she got an Respiratory Infection which cleared on it's own when I upped her temps to the 100s. The halogen flood lights are hotter and brighter. I've got a 40-55 gallon critter tank for her. If you use a halogen flood, you don't have to use a 100 watt bulb or a house bulb. I tried house bulbs. Some say they work and I took probe temps all over her basking spot and didn't even get to 95. It remained in the 80s.

I even tried using combos of aceramic heat emitter, then infrared lights, or two halogen bulbs to make the entire hot side warm. (I now use a 50 watt infrared light and a 75 halogen flood lamp from GE. as a combo. It keeps the tank nice and warm and she's happy to be basking all over the hot side. Allie's a very picky little dragon, but she's worth all of this. :D

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
Ok cool Ty I will pick up a 75 watt flood light here in a bit and give it a try :). Ur Allie sounds like a fun girl. My lil one is picky too and she worrys me to because she likes to stair at the repsun tube :(

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Everyday's a fun day with Allie. You never know what she might do today, tomorrow, or next week. Jump off her basking spot to look outside because she sees something interesting out of two skylights and a huge window. :D Or go outside and go to the bathroom.

Let's just say I love to spoil her rotten.

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
This ia the light I got. Will it be safe. Seames to be hitting the temps. But idk

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370304065.277905.jpg

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Those will work just fine as long as the temps don't get too high..You need to monitor them closely for the next few days to be sure.
Not sure what size enclosure you have but our Mungi is currently in a 40 gallon Breeder tank and I use a 75 watt in a deep dome fixture and have to raise it up a good 8 inches up away from the screen to maintain proper temp.
Of course your setup is probably different and will depend on the height of your basking spot but am just saying to monitor things more closely until you know for sure it is giving you correct temp and not too hot. The household halogen floodlight put out much more heat per watt than the "reptile bulbs"

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
Here's some picks to better help

Any advise would be great.
Now it seams to be to hott.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370308410.793064.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370308431.942857.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370308454.391363.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370308471.845308.jpg

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
What is your cool side temp with that bulb?

Idk. The timer went off before I came back in from the garage. Trying to make a stand for the light and nothing wanted to work :(.

I'm just worried about leaving it on while I'm at work tomorrow.

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Here is what I build and use on our tank enclosures that require adjustable lighting. This one is on a leopard gecko tank.
It's made out of 1" PVC pipe and Two 1' sections of wooden dowel rod. I don't glue them but you can glue the PVC if you choose. The dowel rod will have to be glued in though.
I also drill holes thru the dowel rod at 1" spacings to allow for raising or lowering the light bar.
The top section that the lights attach to raises. Its a fast and simple as well as inexpensive build and they can be modified to fit whatever size tank you have. They can also be painted if you don't like the bare pipes. Lights are attached to the bar using zip cords or by fashioning hooks out of coat hangers.
This also makes it nice when needing to get into the enclosure for maintenance because the lights can be raise up out of the way.
Side View
uploadfromtaptalk1370315782938.jpg

Front View
uploadfromtaptalk1370315824851.jpg

Hope that helps:)
Enjoy!

stumpy

Hatchling Dragon
That's a nice setup u made. I can't make things like that. If I still had acces to a welder then I could make a stand.
I'm just going to go to the city when i get off and get a stand that the bottom slips under the tank for support

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks and glad you like but really nothing hard about cutting a few pieces of PVC pipe and putting them together with a few fittings. Don't sell yourself short. Anybody can build those in about 15- 20 minutes:)
If you decide later you want to give it a whirl just PM and I will be glad to walk you thru it.
Enjoy!