• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I am VERY worried about spike

clh321

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Spike has been very lethargic lately and has been basking 24/7. it is nowhere NEAR brumation time and he is just sleeping sleeping sleeping. his appetite has decreased and i took him for a phisycal at the vet and they said he looked fine. I am worried, any ideas? btw, i have NO IDEA how old he is, i rescued him from a pet store 2 years ago and he was the same size he is now.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Did the vet do a fecal?

Couple of other questions -
1. What is your UV light and when was the last time you replaced it?
2. How about your temps?

clh321

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yes the vet did a fecal and he is clear of parisites and his poo is healthy. His uv light is a reptisun 10.0, his temps are in his basking spot, 95-111 degrees and in his cooling spot it is 80-92 degrees. (farenheit) am i doing anything wrong wiwth his uv stuff or anything?

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Your lighting and temps are fine. How about regular baths? Dragons can get lethargic if they are dehydrated.

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'd do the soaking. Might be that Renee is right. Mine are slowing down too. But I rememebr reading somewhere that in Australia this is about the time they start slowing down. And that they may have an inner clock that is telling them that it is winter over there and time to do the same even though they are on the other side of the world. Opinions on that are welcome. :)

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I always had a theory that Bernie would go into light brumation in June, when we first turned the AC on for the season. We maintained the accurate temps, but he would slow down and not eat as much. Our herp vet seemed to think we had something there too.

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Magick and Semi who are both over 5 y/o have been slowing down this month. Last year it was the August. I think it is the weird weather we have had. We keep our house temps constant year round so I don't think that would do it to mine anyways. Mine also get daily soaks.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Spike has been very lethargic lately and has been basking 24/7

Sorry..i have to read things weird.
Is Spike basking or is he lethargic? And how long has this been going on?

clh321

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
he will just sit in his basking light and do nothiung. i soak him daily. i think you might be right about brumation stuff because we have been keeping the ac on high. i hope that that is it. ty guys

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
If he's basking and awake definitely not brumation. What do you mean by lethargic, just not moving around as much? Is he continually eating? If so then there's no real probs, they get lazy from time to time maybe days maybe weeks, just like people lol. Outside temps and barometric pressure will also cause them to be lethargic as well as a change in lighting conditions that they can see in the outside world. They can see in the UV spectrum. So even if they are behind double layers of glass as long as they can see natural sunlight they know how much UV is there. They can go into semi torphor in summer when there is high UV saturation, low barometric pressure and low humidity (mid summer where you guys are?).

clh321

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
yeah its mid summer. he is not eating as much and sleeping all the time. i mean sometimes he will perk up and look around, but i think it is probably the inner clock of his. ty guys

Latest posts