• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

I’m Confused About My Beardie’s Behavior

honksbonk

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi! I’m a new bearded dragon owner. I got my little dude last Friday, so I’ve only had him for four days. I’m not sure exactly how old he is or anything, but I know he’s a baby and I’ve been feeding him live crickets several times daily as well as giving him greens. He has a basking lamp and a UV light, and I was worried he’d be too cold at night so he’s getting a ceramic heat emitter today. He’s in a 40 gallon, so I think he has plenty of space ? My thermometer and hygrometer say the right temp/humidity too, but he’s been acting weird. I thought everything was perfect. He’s been sitting in his hammock the whole time pretty much, either staring at me or sitting at the top pressing his little limbs against the side of the glass. Last time I looked at him he opened his mouth at me. As I’m typing this, he’s running back and forth along the front of his viv and staring at me. Could something be wrong with him ?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hi! I’m a new bearded dragon owner. I got my little dude last Friday, so I’ve only had him for four days. I’m not sure exactly how old he is or anything, but I know he’s a baby and I’ve been feeding him live crickets several times daily as well as giving him greens. He has a basking lamp and a UV light, and I was worried he’d be too cold at night so he’s getting a ceramic heat emitter today. He’s in a 40 gallon, so I think he has plenty of space ? My thermometer and hygrometer say the right temp/humidity too, but he’s been acting weird. I thought everything was perfect. He’s been sitting in his hammock the whole time pretty much, either staring at me or sitting at the top pressing his little limbs against the side of the glass. Last time I looked at him he opened his mouth at me. As I’m typing this, he’s running back and forth along the front of his viv and staring at me. Could something be wrong with him ?
Please go over the lighting --- UVB brand and bulb and is it a coil or a tube? Basking temps are what? they need to be 105-110 and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer NO stick ons they are inaccurate --
He will go thru relocation stress and his eating will be slow or off but he should NOT quit eating --- I would get some BSFL for him from here www.symtonbsf.com -- order the size no bigger than the space between his eyes length wise -- DO NOT dust them add them to the salads in front of him - hand feed him 5-6 then add them to the tops of his salads they are a great staple feeder --- feed as many as you want - here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
You want your dragon active basking pooping and eating -- he will get most of his moisture from the salads so rinse them before serving -- he needs to stay hydrated -- no baths for now -- he needs to settle in and acclimate to the tank -- his diet should be 80% protein and 20% salads for now -- but we need to go over that lighting first so he stays healthy -- that UVB and basking temps are the TWO MOST important things in the tank -- they control the over all health and behavior of the dragon

Dreanicole

Bearded Dragon Egg
Literally was having this same issue! Got my little girl last Sunday and she was doing the same stuff ! Glass surfing and just being weird . Today she decided she didn’t want her food. So I’ll try and do crickets agn after work. I did go get a digital thermometer and a higher watt bulb but once I got the new probe thermometer i seen that it was within the right tempt . And I also have the 40 gal tank

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Literally was having this same issue! Got my little girl last Sunday and she was doing the same stuff ! Glass surfing and just being weird . Today she decided she didn’t want her food. So I’ll try and do crickets agn after work. I did go get a digital thermometer and a higher watt bulb but once I got the new probe thermometer i seen that it was within the right tempt . And I also have the 40 gal tank
Please go over the lighting in the tank --- if its off or incorrect she will stop eating all together -- we want to fix it before that happens

Latest posts