• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hyper or just scared?

jeremiahfish

Bearded Dragon Egg
new beardie Owner here, when I go to handle dagger she never backs up or puffs or bites, she doesn’t even struggle when I pick her up, but once I have her on my chest or hand she won’t sit still and wants to run off, is she just bored and wants to explore or is she trying to get away from me? Whenever I come home she gets stress marks but they disappear as soon as I take her out

jeremiahfish

Bearded Dragon Egg
Pic because she’s adorable and looks like she has a mane from her shed
D929C22E-D4D9-4DBE-99AF-602E3F2180E1.jpeg

jeremiahfish

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes she wants to run and explore --- you can let her do this but make sure her environment is safe--- no cats dogs or other animals please- they like to find hiding spots like closets ---under things so keep an eye on her so she doesnt get lost and you cant find her -- have had people lose their dragons for days often times they are under things or in a book shelf or can even get out of doors and out side so please be careful --- stress marks in the tank are a sign of other things going on ----------- what kind of lighting do you have for her and where is it in the tank?
kaylyn
I have a reptisun t8 10.0 tube light for her uvb and that’s positioned about 8” from her basking spot which is temping in at 108 at the highest point, she just got done shedding and has only been here about a week so it could be two factors as to why

jeremiahfish

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah she mows down 30 crickets a day, 15 in morning and 15 in afternoon and she also eats her veggies! I give her green peppers, collard greens, mustard greens, and carrots and she almost always finishes it by the end of the day, her light is mounted on the inside of her tank also, she seemed to just burst out of her shed in no time at all, has pooped every day too, every side of her tank is open though and I think she sees her reflection because I’ll see her just staring into it, would you recommend a background for it?

Alex Harkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie does the same thing, he’s so eager to explore when I take him out. Im setting up my dining room to be “dragon proofed” so he can run around and explore and be offered enrichment.

I’m also new to bearded dragon care, but I would also recommend Dubia roaches, if you’re not in Florida or another place where it’s illegal... they are very nutritious, quiet, less stinky, less likely to die, or escape than crickets. I have my guy eating Dubias, crickets, and black soldier fly larvae, and his favorite by far are the roaches. They’re also easy to start a colony and it saves a lot of money in the long run.

Selena Walters

Bearded Dragon Egg
I’ve had my beardie Bee for about a month or two now and she doesn’t always want to snuggle when I take her out of her cage. I let her free roam for a bit to tire her out and that’s when she will snuggle in my hair or on my neck. My daughter beardie Lucy is the same way. After play time he will settle down and want to snuggle. I’ve got both dragons in my room in their own twenty gallon tanks and they have a strict schedule. I feed them waxworms in the morning mixed in with their greens and dusted with their calcium powder and after they’ve digested their food I take them out for play time. In the evening they get their crickets. I handle both beardies daily and at least twice a day, doing this with yours will help build a bond with it. My daughter wasn’t taking Lucy out as often so he was skittish when I started taking over his care but now that I’ve developed a routine for him and handle him often he’s gotten used to me and my fiancé and will just chill and hang out on our necks, chest and shoulders. Give your beardie a little time to get used to you and by handling her daily even if for just a few minutes multiple times a day she will get used to you and bond with you. Best of luck and welcome to being a new beardie parent :)

Below is a photo of Lucy and Bee. Lucy is the orange one and Bee is the grey one.

Attachments

• 3C790C0E-9C89-4196-9226-D243DF6A4E28.jpeg
    3C790C0E-9C89-4196-9226-D243DF6A4E28.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • A4A0DC9D-C6C1-4211-AB6C-542516390A98.jpeg
    A4A0DC9D-C6C1-4211-AB6C-542516390A98.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45

80LOU

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I’ve had my beardie Bee for about a month or two now and she doesn’t always want to snuggle when I take her out of her cage. I let her free roam for a bit to tire her out and that’s when she will snuggle in my hair or on my neck. My daughter beardie Lucy is the same way. After play time he will settle down and want to snuggle. I’ve got both dragons in my room in their own twenty gallon tanks and they have a strict schedule. I feed them waxworms in the morning mixed in with their greens and dusted with their calcium powder and after they’ve digested their food I take them out for play time. In the evening they get their crickets. I handle both beardies daily and at least twice a day, doing this with yours will help build a bond with it. My daughter wasn’t taking Lucy out as often so he was skittish when I started taking over his care but now that I’ve developed a routine for him and handle him often he’s gotten used to me and my fiancé and will just chill and hang out on our necks, chest and shoulders. Give your beardie a little time to get used to you and by handling her daily even if for just a few minutes multiple times a day she will get used to you and bond with you. Best of luck and welcome to being a new beardie parent :)

Below is a photo of Lucy and Bee. Lucy is the orange one and Bee is the grey one.
Welcome to the forum! And to the ‘Beardy Life’ here is my little beauty...Nico he’s 10 and a half years old and still going strong...sometimes you have to just trust your gut feeling, along with some research on the internet. I was totally new to this game when I got him and here he is over a decade later! Enjoy your time with your new pet :)

Attachments

• 0658FC20-C7EC-46BE-8CE6-8E15E1EFA8EC.jpeg
    0658FC20-C7EC-46BE-8CE6-8E15E1EFA8EC.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40

Latest posts