• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

hyoid bone broken - experiences?

Dwaggie

Bearded Dragon Egg
hello all!

I was at the vet yesterday, with my beardie girl (she's about 6 years old now)
I initially went because I noticed her hissing/making noises while breathing after her last bath, and was worried she might have some kind of lung infection
she's totally okay in that department,
but, doc said she has her hyoid bone broken (is that the proper word for it? the tongue bone thing that helps her swallow and move her beard and jaw)
he said it was rather common with color breeds and it's not my fault (it's not caused by mbd or wrong handling, she probably popped it while climbing/falling or butting her head at the glass when she wants out.)

this means she'll now only get very soft foods (he suggested "single type" baby food (like, only carrots, or parsnips etc) and i have repashy grub pie powder (and i have meal worms and baby roaches)

i'll have to massage her throat after each feeding, so she can swallow better (since her tongue doesn't work well anymore)

does anyone have experiences with this? anyone have any tips they can share for this?
other than that and her being a little too fat, she's doing a-okay.
she received some yeast-infection medicine, since her mouth was a bit yucky due to swallowing difficulties, but... yeah...

i'll try and do the best for my child :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I have never heard of this. So strange. I wonder if besides yeast infection medicine, if you should also clean her mouth out occasionally with diluted chlorhexidine. One of my girls has some swollen tissue in her mouth and we wash it out with a q-tip to keep it clean.

Dwaggie

Bearded Dragon Egg
hm, vet said that, other than some built-up mucus / thickened saliva, her mouth and teeth are fine :)
i'll feet her cucumbers more (the inner part only, which is nice and juicy) to help her "rinse" her mouth better, since she doesn't drink water (i offer her some occasionally, ether in a bowl or running, when i prep her bath, but she doesn't drink)

Latest posts